VW pull start...cool.

John/Horace

Good Lord, and I remember them in catalogs of the original offering years! AND many folks actually having one. My dad found an even cheaper alternative by using a thin mens' belt that were the norm back then (and not the "wide" ones that came popular in the later 60's . My dad was  auto tech for a Buffalo, NY  VW  dealer from '57 - 67, and then started his own shop in the early 70's (where I got my start! )

My  first car was a very beat up 1969 beetle. I rolled the car with door open and jumped in and dumped clutch to manually start it several times. The trick was to not do a Flinstone and drive over your self with your own car.  Pull start would have been safer, didn’t know it existed. 

Beetle engine  exhaust was the trickiest thing to work on. Four wrenches you could disassemble the whole car I think.

Edited by John/Horace

Had a 1969 rag top for three weeks that I flipped for 300% more money offer. I was in college and needed the cash. Top needed replacing any way.

Also a 1971 Westphalia for a little while as well. Duel Sollex carbs,  what a bear to set up. 

Bettle total was 5,  I converted a 3 speed semi automatic to a regular 4 speed std over a thanksgiving long weekend.

It leaked so much fluid I was given orders by dad to ditch it or fix it. Semi auto parts were too scarce.

I still prefer metric cars because it’s what I started on first.

Oh yeah the thing, never even sat in one, very cool for its time.

Edited by John/Horace

Rebel9 your 1965 was 6 volt system unless you converted to 12. Solid front axle and torsion bar rear no macpherson struts.

I loved the 60’s chrome trim bugs. The gas heaters if you ever got one were hilarious. I sold my 1971 super bettle gas heater to a construction crane guy for more than what car was worth when scrapping it. They ran with a glow plug and their own tiny electric fuel pump.  

The rear exhaust heat exchangers didn’t produce much heat because they were usually rotted out by salt.

It was amazing how well they handled the deep snow with the skinny tall factory tires.

Edited by John/Horace

YUP, dealt with all that stuff and right up thru '87 when we closed shop. those aux. gas heaters were something else when they worked! BUT I did not mean to "go on" about my past with another make on a Journey FORUM    :) YES we did some pretty neat stuff on our own rides  and for a number of customers, was a shame when VW went water cooled and lost their way about '85 . People stopped buying the brand around us and the specialty of the air cooled ones was dying out. Not to mention a rather large difference of opinion on business plan between family and myself that helped bring about our shops' closing.

Let's get back to our JOURNEYS    :) ;)