2010 dodge journey sxt awd

7 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

Don't have to cap, can drive as is. Shaft mounts stay in place, don't pull out.

I haven't driven without ptu on a Journey.

People have without drive shaft on journey (I have on jeeps). . No Ptu might be a first. I think it's doable...free advice worth everything you pay for it. ?

Sir you are the light at the end of the tunnel for this DJ because to be honest with you I was just gonna drive it till it blew but if what you say works I’m gonna definitely use that information and run with it

On pick ups tail stock pulls out of diff and oil will all  leak out. This is a self contained unit and it's bolted directly on tranny. It's gear to gear drive. Input/output shafts fixed in place.

Most transfer cases like New Process etc are chain driven units. 

If you have oil still in Ptu I wouldn't worry about driving it. Just pull drive shaft for now.  If split casing won't hold oil and it's runnings dry.

Then it needs removing a lot sooner before it grenades.

17 hours ago, John/Horace said:

Used Ptu on LKQ is an option.

If really high mileage and vehicle tired, maybe not. Viscous coupling in rear diff is another common wear item if you haven't done it.  Can be changed without removing diff, guy on site posted about it.

Hey I’m jacking the dj up currently, wish me luck ??

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 10:14 AM, John/Horace said:

Ramps are good for getting safe and decent height. I haven't had to have the driveshaft off our journey yet.

Flex coupling at the diff and cap screws at front I think. Some people match mark the mounts to avoid vibration  issues on reinstall.

Hey man i did it, still leaks though but thanks you saved my baby from the crusher

Great news, not a good time for buying vehicles.  Thanks for the follow up info, helps site. Casting is cracked and seals are partly popped out, so it leaks. Nothing to do with removing the drive shaft.

I would pursue removing ptu if possible. Fixing awd would depend on how good rear diff is as well, dump fluid and look for metal.  It is safer to drive now the way it is.

Awd shaft is worth a lot of money, even used. Don’t throw it away.

Edited by John/Horace

• 2 months later...