2010 dodge journey sxt awd

You should have rear drive shaft removed. If front of shaft at ptu drops down you will pole vault when it digs into ground.  Running with out oil in a gear box you run the risk of bearings seizing up. Mechanic could probably leave it safe to drive as a 2 wd. If rear diff sensor left hooked up,n o dash warning light.

You would need a jack, jack stands and some open end wrenches. If you work on cars sometimes, it's the approx skill level of a brake job. Front flex coupling needs bolts removed, hanger bearing bracket and diff ujoint I guess. 

You shouldn't keep driving it like this.

Not sure how long it ran dry for.

So can't really speculate on time.

It would be safer I think with drive shaft removed. Could just leave it as 2 wheel drive vehicle.

Single plug on rear diff sends speed signal I think.  As long as plugged in still shouldn't be dash light from traction control.

7 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

Front ptu casing is toast, can't be rebuilt. There was a quart of oil in it at one point.

People buy used unit from wreckers normally.

New it's pricy, around $950 US.

If you work on Dodges, are you an apprentice?

As i thought…

and yes i am

2 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

Not sure how long it ran dry for.

So can't really speculate on time.

It would be safer I think with drive shaft removed. Could just leave it as 2 wheel drive vehicle.

Single plug on rear diff sends speed signal I think.  As long as plugged in still shouldn't be dash light from traction control.

As soon as it broke we pulled it into the driveway and it sat for the last two months and then I decided to start driving it again a couple pieces have broken off since I’ve started driving it again but it’s drives like there’s nothing wrong with it that’s what I’m not getting sometimes you know after a cold morning it’ll start up and you’ll hear clinking from the driveshaft but that’s pretty much it it still takes off and drives correctly

I'm a retired milright mechanic. But have always worked on cars. Wife has an RT for a few years.

Haven't done much to the AWD. Just lip seals in rear diff.

As long as rear diff has oil, it should be ok just free wheeling. Front ptu has a drain plug, could check for oil. Top vent is easiest way to refill oil back into unit . If it's not holding oil anymore, it will need to get pulled until you get a used one.

1 minute ago, John/Horace said:

I'm a retired milright mechanic. But have always worked on cars. Wife has an RT for a few years.

Haven't done much to the AWD. Just lip seals in rear diff.

As long as rear diff has oil, it should be ok just free wheeling. Front ptu has a drain plug, could check for oil. Top vent is easiest way to refill oil back into unit . If it's not holding oil anymore, it will need to get pulled until you get a used one.

So I can drive around without a transfer case on the transmission?

Don't have to cap, can drive as is. Shaft mounts stay in place, don't pull out.

I haven't driven without ptu on a Journey.

People have without drive shaft on journey (I have on jeeps). . No Ptu might be a first. I think it's doable...free advice worth everything you pay for it. ?

Edited by John/Horace

Because growing up I used to work on OBS and Rams and all that and I’ve always been told if you take a transfer case off you a cannot drive it or we to It off because of the hole you’re gonna leave in it that oil could leak out so I don’t get how the vehicles gonna be fine without it and where are the mounts for it on the transmission because I can’t see them

Just now, SHADOW DJ SXT AWD said:

Because growing up I used to work on OBS and Rams and all that and I’ve always been told if you take a transfer case off you a cannot drive it or we to It off because of the hole you’re gonna leave in it that oil could leak out so I don’t get how the vehicles gonna be fine without it and where are the mounts for it on the transmission because I can’t see them

Would doing this affect the driving, the performance or anything else because if not I’m probably gonna do it tomorrow