Not shifting into 6th gear until 90 KM/H

johnvosh

Good day everyone. So after owning and driving my 2017 Dodge Journey GT AWD for the past 8 months, I have noticed one thing about how the transmission shifts or I guess doesn't shift. In any other automatic vehicle I have driven, going 80KM/H+ and it will be in overdrive. My trip to/from work is a total of 11.6 KM, with most of the driving around 60 KM/H, with a stretch of highway that is 80 KM/H. During my drive, I spend most of my time in 5th gear, which, from doing some searching, means I am in direct 1:1 ratio. The only way I can get the transmission to go into 6th gear (overdrive) is by manual putting it into that gear or by going 90KM/H. Vehicle currently has a little under 121,000 KM's on it and I got it with just under 118,000 KM's. I use 87 Octane (regular) when fueling up and I get between 13-16.5 US MPG

To me, this just doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't it want to be in overdrive at like 60-80 KM/H, for better fuel economy and lower RPM's. I've driven 4spd, 5spd, 8spd, 10spd automatic's and usually around 80 KM/H or less and the transmission will be in overdrive. Heck my 2013 Challenger with the 3.6L and 5spd auto got better fuel economy than this thing does. Funny thing, our work got a new F-550 with the diesel and 10spd and it is in 10th gear by around 60KM/H. One of our tandem axle flatdecks has an Allison 6spd auto and it is in 6th gear at around 60 KM/H as well.

Is there anything the dealership can do to fix this issue, and to me, this is an issue. Can they reprogram it or something?

Monitor your engine and transmission temps, I bet they will be LOW. FCA is notorious for preventing top gear or "lock up converter" till certain temp parameters are met. The Journey and a lot of the Avenger/200 get the lack of fuel economy GRIPE with the 3.6 motor. YOU with not even 5 miles(USA equivalent) one way are NOT even getting up to good temp. You might try a new T-Stat on the motor to try and help things out.

Edited by 5rebel9

On 5/16/2021 at 1:00 PM, 5rebel9 said:

Monitor your engine and transmission temps, I bet they will be LOW. FCA is notorious for preventing top gear or "lock up converter" till certain temp parameters are met. The Journey and a lot of the Avenger/200 get the lack of fuel economy GRIPE with the 3.6 motor. YOU with not even 5 miles(USA equivalent) one way are NOT even getting up to good temp. You might try a new T-Stat on the motor to try and help things out.

For some reason I didn't receive an email about your reply.

Thank you for the insight into this. I guess I'm just used to previous vehicles going into overdrive when I'm over 60 KM/H, no matter how short my trip is. One thing I do like about the Journey, is it gets heat out the vents quite fast, even at -30c.

My 2011 will not shift into 6th gear  until 45mph (72mph, exactly), So this appears to be the normal minimum speed for OD.

I don't know why your model is waiting till 90kph. 

I agree it's mildly annoying, because right at 45mph the efficiency increases because of the OD; at 44 mph, the instant mpg rating is noticeably lower. at 45mph, its greatly improved.

Edited by NavalLacrosse

I believe it´s normal. My Journey at 80km/h sometimes won´t engage 6th gear, unless I almost don´t touch the gas pedal. Normally when I want to keep 80km/h (common speed limit in Brazil), I depress the accelerator, wait for 6th, then press again or start cruise control.