2013 Dodge Journey SXT 2.4L

Recent history- Intermittent dead battery- jump it it’s fine.

Very recent- Started running and sounding like shit. Rough and somewhat grinding sound. Was driving yesterday and it died. Tried jumping it today it sounded even worse and as soon as I took the positive cable off it died. Then it started making weird clicking sounds (video). I’m thinking it’s the alternator but, what the hell is this clicking!?

IMG_4596.MOV

rough running could be the plugs need to be changed every 30 k,,,,, have the alt and battery checked for free at your local part store,,,,,, also how old is the battery? how many miles on the engine? i am assuming the noise is just a very recent occurrence? also while having the alt and battery checked have them see if their are any codes stored.    good luck

I knew I would forget stuff. Spark plugs have never been changed. I have Metromile car insurance and according to that the code is P0562. Car has 124,000 miles. Battery is about 2 years old. Thank you 

5 hours ago, Charity said:

I knew I would forget stuff. Spark plugs have never been changed. I have Metromile car insurance and according to that the code is P0562. Car has 124,000 miles. Battery is about 2 years old. Thank you 

Pretty sure the Alternator is what's making the noise. It uses a decoupler pulley on it for belt drive and they are known to go bad. Best bet is have the alternator output tested and be prepared to REPLACE the whole alternator. And also you really need to keep up with normal maint intervals like spark plugs on these 2.4 motors. Not "judging" you, but it sounds like the engine has only had oil changes thru most of it's 100K+ miles. Your owners book has the info of this.

9 hours ago, Charity said:

first change the dam plugs they are wayyyyy over due use the oem copper plugs as well they are cheap and easy to do,have the alt checked and as mentioned replace both it and the decoupler with a new serpentine belt and also make sure your belt tensioner is still working correctly. also you never mentioned when the car was first purchased as that will decide if you still have power train warranty as it is 5 yrs from the date of purchase and 60 thousand miles, very important if you are having transmission problems...also are you in the U.S. ? Canada? or elsewhere as you didnt post your location also very important. with out such info hard to help you..