trailer hitch drop

2late4u

already have the hitch and wiring but getting ready to borrow my sons trailer and i need to get the receiver hitch and ball, class 3 and know i need a 2 inch ball but what drop or rise is every one using, or would a straight hitch work okay,,.trailer is just a regular  size  6 by 8 i believe and will just be hauling 2 tractor scoops of cotton seed mulch from the local gin co-op, (this stuff is real light not like soil),,by the way this stuff is the greatest, it doesn't pack down hard like dirt stays loose ,and keeps the weeds out great, and looks just like regular soil....anyways just wondering what to buy to hook up to the hitch

Edited by 2late4u

28 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

already have the hitch and wiring but getting ready to borrow my sons trailer and i need to get the receiver hitch and ball, class 3 and know i need a 2 inch ball but what drop or rise is every one using, or would a straight hitch work okay,,.trailer is just a regular  size  6 by 8 i believe and will just be hauling 2 tractor scoops of cotton seed mulch from the local gin co-op, (this stuff is real light not like soil),,by the way this stuff is the greatest, it doesn't pack down hard like dirt stays loose ,and keeps the weeds out great, and looks just like regular soil....anyways just wondering what to buy to hook up to the hitch

forgot to mention i have a crossroad with the 3.6 engine

It varies depending on the trailer really. Often 15” tires can sit higher than a trailer with 13” tires.

Need to have some tonge weight so slight downwards angle needed.  Usually 2.5” is the most common drop, but you need to check trailer and car together at hitch and see what works.

I tow a 6ftx6ft camper. usually at 750 lbs. I use the Reese Hitch 2" drop from Walmart, but I've inverted the ball to raise it up to level. 

The DJ receiver is really low in comparison to most SUVs (even compared to it's crossover jeep counterparts), so, either level, or a little raise might be good.

PS - the 3.6 tows wonders. 

12 hours ago, NavalLacrosse said:

I tow a 6ftx6ft camper. usually at 750 lbs. I use the Reese Hitch 2" drop from Walmart, but I've inverted the ball to raise it up to level. 

The DJ receiver is really low in comparison to most SUVs (even compared to it's crossover jeep counterparts), so, either level, or a little raise might be good.

PS - the 3.6 tows wonders. 

that is about what i was going to use,  12 inches measures the top of the hitch on the journey  and my neighbors trailer that is about the same as i was going to use is about 15.5  to the bottom of the ball receiver thanks everyone for your info

ended up going with a 4 drop and 3 3/4 rise made for a perfect height when using the 3 3/4 rise position for towing the trailer and he had 16 inch tires on the trailer as well

Edited by 2late4u