crank sensor and misfire problems

Bryan

hello, i have a 2010 journey with 160000 mi. the other day i was driving and it stared to misfire and the check engine light started to flash.went to the part store and had the code pulled and it was the crank sensor code and a misfire code. changed the sensor and gave it a test drive and it was still doing the same thing. put another sensor in and changed the spark plugs. test driven again and still not running right.idles ok start to drive in a couple hundred feet it starts to misfire when you turn the car off and restart it run ok for a couple 100 ft then the same thing happens, 

any thoughts im at a loss

Welcome to the forum.

Should use oem crank sensor for a critical ignition component, it’s not much more $.

You could still have a bad coil still that is causing a plug to misfire.

What  engine is it.

How long was it driven with the flashing engine light ? 
Who did the work, mechanic ?

Edited by John/Horace

They are usually plug and play on most vehicles, I’ve changed cps on  five or six different vehicles before and never had to program one, just lucky I guess. Is it a Dorman sensor or oem?  Auto relearn needs a proper scanner unit with the right up to date software, there are suppose to be ways to manually reset.

Pasted from a another Dodge forum is a procedure. Free advice worth everything you pay for it.

The first way:
1) Disconnect the Negative battery cable for two or three minutes then reconnect.
2) Start truck and let idle till it reaches operating temperature. 
3) Turn truck off for 5-10 seconds.
4) Fire her up and drive her the way you want. 

The second way:
1) With the key out of the ignition 
2) Disconnect the Negative battery Cable. 
3) Put the key in the ignition and turn it as if you where trying to the START it. 
4) Release the key and leave it in the “ON” position and let it sit for 10- 15 min 
5) Remove key from the ignition. 
6) Re-attach the negative battery cable. 
7) DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE when starting the truck for the first TWO times!!! 
8) Start truck and let idle till it reaches operating temperature. 
9) Turn truck off for 5-10 seconds. 
10) RE-START the truck but DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE! 
11) Let the truck return to normal idle (500-600 RPM’s) 
12) Turn truck off, and then start her up and take her for a LIGHT test drive… NO WOT testing yet. 
13) After driving around the block letting your computer LEARN the new air flow turn her off one last time… 
14) Fire her up and drive her the way you want. 

The third way: 
1) Pull fuse #19 or #23 or #31 (vehicle year dependent) 
2) Close door and buckle seatbelt (technically you don't have to buckle the seatbelt, but it helps to stop all unnecessary chimes)
3) Put key in ignition and turn to "on" and wait until all chimes stop (on...not start!) 
4) Turn key to start and hold until you hear 2 chimes (I think it was about 15 seconds or so) 
5) Turn key off 
6) Re-install fuse 
7) You're good to go 

... and last. This is from a past DT thread:

You can do what is often called a "hard dump".

We (techs) often do this when we need to totally reset the ECU and either don't have the proper tool close by (too lazy to walk to toolbox and get it) or just are "in a hurry".

First, disconnect positive+ battery cable at the battery and ground it to the chassis. Yes, the POSITIVE CABLE.

Wait a few seconds, 30 won't kill ya.

Now reconnect the positive cable. Careful, no sparks now.

Get in the vehicle, turn ignition key to on (run) position, now depress fully and release the gas pedal 5 times to set the TPS to WOT. (Make sure the floor mats do not keep the pedal from going WFO)

Turn the key to off, wait a min, and you should have cleared everything in the ECU except for the factory programming. 
=============================================

The hard dump does not effect the (factory) alarm, the only thing I noticed is my radio presets, as this method came from a working Chrysler tech, I doubt if there are any negative effects. 
=============================================

Edited by John/Horace

ECM rarely fail on most vehicles IMO. I have heard of it happening on occasion. I would swap in a mopar sensor first, maybe pay dealer to try and do an auto learn before dropping $450 on a guess. But before that you need to check other stuff first.

When was the timing belt and tensioner changed on the engine? If you can remove part of one of the upper timing covers, I would.  Rotate crank shaft slowly and inspect the exposed belt very closely; look for fraying of belt or more importantly a few damaged teeth on the belt.  If belt has jumped a tooth engine will run, but shake like hell being out around 8 degrees of timing.

If that is problem, change belt quick before bending valves when belt slips more. 

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...