Missing CV axle nut

Polecatt

So I had my 2015 Journey in to service a leaking CV axle joint a few months ago and to my surprise when I was swapping out my summer tires for the steel rim winters today I found that there is no CV axle nut on the shaft they worked on.  Any thoughts on how that might have happen and what sort of risk or damage the vehicle might be subjected to when driving for a few months with no CV axle nut?

7AFC0F45-45D6-4E06-9518-067E6F404690.jpeg

It’s not an issue of the nut having come loose. It was never installed when the shop was putting it back together after the CV joint repair.  If the nut had been installed and come loose, it would have been caught and rattling around in the alloy wheel wheel hub... 

from what I can tell, this nut isn't what holds the wheel on, but seems to only pull the CV axle out and hold it in place.  If this is correct, the purpose is to make sure the CV axel stays engaged with the wheel hub to provide drive force to the wheel. I’m not sure how the drive force is working without the axle nut. 

2 hours ago, Polecatt said:

So I had my 2015 Journey in to service a leaking CV axle joint a few months ago and to my surprise when I was swapping out my summer tires for the steel rim winters today I found that there is no CV axle nut on the shaft they worked on.  Any thoughts on how that might have happen and what sort of risk or damage the vehicle might be subjected to when driving for a few months with no CV axle nut?

7AFC0F45-45D6-4E06-9518-067E6F404690.jpeg

i would be making a trip back to where you had it worked on last and be raising some hell for sure, as said they never replaced the nut and spring washer on that axle and would demand that they fix it for you

If the c/v axle joint leaks, the boot is torn and there will be grease oozing out from rubber boot.

A new or reman axle shaft is then installed.  Is this a new axle we are looking at, or was it transmission oil leaking from axle seal on transmission side of shaft.  That repair also requires complete shaft removal.
If threads aren’t damaged the axle might still be ok. They are sometimes a splined shaft so there could be wear from flopping around and shaft might need replacing.

If you had driven in sand or snow and lost traction on the side that had an axle nut, you might have gotten stuck right away.

Spyder gears inside transmission transfer drive ability from either c/v shaft depending on surface conditions and wheel angle etc,  google it.

When torquing axle nut to 180 ish foot pounds mechanic often puts tire on car and lowers it to ground so weight of car helps hold wheel so they can torque it. Pretty serious mistake. I had tire shop leave nuts loose and had tire almost fall off, need to always check stuff over after service work if possible.

3 minutes ago, Polecatt said:

The original repair was for a transmission side axle seal leak.  

take it back to the shop that did the work, might have to threaten legal action if they dont want to make it right but they made the error like John said that had to come off to fix the trans seal leak on that axle... document with pictures and your repair paperwork that they did

Edited by 2late4u