Adding a Back-Up Camera

Thanks for the help in advance. I have a 2018 Journey that came with the standard 4.3" screen. I purchased a Emerald back-up camera and went to hook it to my screen and they said that the small screen would not support the camera. My question is, if I purchase a large screen and tuner module from a salvage Journey, can I add it to my 2018? I know I will have to have it activated to my VIN, but is it possible?

why did you not go OEM, after market parts usually dont work correctly with new car software,good luck but id check into returning the back up camera and go with yes more expensive OEM and save yourself a lot of trouble,,,,,good luck

Emerald is who supplies Chrysler with their camera, so I did go OEM.  https://www.emeraldintegrations.com/dodge-journey-oem-integrated-rear-view-backup-camera-system.html  I just didn't realize that it is only compatible with the 8.4" screen when I bought it. Right now I am using a rear view mirror screen, but would much rather have an in-dash monitor. I have the option of going with an android aftermarket head unit, but I just can't see spending twice as much as the head unit to get the install kit to make it work. I can pick up a 8.4" OEM screen and tuner module for $350 from a local salvage yard. It's out of a 2014 Journey. I am just needing to know if it is plug and play as long as I get it flashed to my VIN. I need to know if my wiring will support them.

Edited by Dan H

there has been plenty of owners upgrade from the small screen to the 8.4,can be expensive and you also have to change out more than just the screens, i believe the wiring is the same just different connectors..most of what iv read most use a kit from the internet, look thur the forum for a lot more info also you should be able to you tube some info as well,,, might take a bit but there are some great people on here that can post what you need to do but might take them a day or so to see your question... good luck and report back after you get it done...

32 minutes ago, Dan H said:

Emerald is who supplies Chrysler with their camera, so I did go OEM.  https://www.emeraldintegrations.com/dodge-journey-oem-integrated-rear-view-backup-camera-system.html  I just didn't realize that it is only compatible with the 8.4" screen when I bought it. Right now I am using a rear view mirror screen, but would much rather have an in-dash monitor. I have the option of going with an android aftermarket head unit, but I just can't see spending twice as much as the head unit to get the install kit to make it work. I can pick up a 8.4" OEM screen and tuner module for $350 from a local salvage yard. It's out of a 2014 Journey. I am just needing to know if it is plug and play as long as I get it flashed to my VIN. I need to know if my wiring will support them.

dont mean to argue but this manufacture  is not oem by dodge or mopar, but give them a call they say they are available 24/7 for help, they should have all the correct questions you need answered,,,good luck

On 11/2/2020 at 9:04 PM, Dan H said:

As pointed out;  Sorry to have to tell you, but that is NOT the OEM camera - unfortunately LOTS of Chinese providers claim OEM status for their junk - this is just another one of them.

On 11/2/2020 at 1:40 PM, Dan H said:

Thanks for the help in advance. I have a 2018 Journey that came with the standard 4.3" screen. I purchased a Emerald back-up camera and went to hook it to my screen and they said that the small screen would not support the camera. My question is, if I purchase a large screen and tuner module from a salvage Journey, can I add it to my 2018? I know I will have to have it activated to my VIN, but is it possible?

There are several threads on this board and a number of videos on Youtube describing what's necessary to upgrade to the 8.4" display.

In summary, you will need to replace the TGM (radio module) with the RE2 or RB5 (if you want Navigation).  If you don't have Sirius now you'll need to add the satellite antenna and related cable to enable that and/or the navigation.

The profile of the 8.4 is a bit different from the 4.3 and you'll  need to replace all of the bezels for the center stack.

If you don't have auto-air now you need to add or replace the temperature sensor (that ball in the center of the dash top) and add the wire for it.

You'll need to unlock your new TGM, add the sales code for the backup camera and possibly for automatic air conditioning as well - if you don't the screen controls for temperature won't work.

Having said all this, as of 2018 all vehicles have backup cameras - yours must be earlier production;  I have no idea what might be involved in upgrading the system to support the camera on the 4.3" platform, but it is likely to be a lot less expensive than doing the 8.4" conversion.