Dodge Journey CRD back up-and-running!

JohnnyRevs

Just completed a big overhaul on my 2010 Dodge Journey CRD SXT with around 120,000 miles on the clock.  I'm posting this thread WRT the injectors & wiring loom in case that it helps someone in a similar position.

After replacing the clutch, flywheel and refurbishing the turbo, I got the car back together and up-and-running only to find diesel escaping from the inlet manifold at the front of the engine. 

Only place this could come from was the injectors, so I whipped these out and sent them for repair.  I probably could have done this myself - these are Bosch injectors that, as I found out, are generally very durable and all that goes wrong is the failure of the seals.  This cost me only €168 for all 4 injectors and done by a professional here in Dublin, Ireland.  Very reasonable.  Got a quote for new injectors from Fiat-Chrysler of €1300+.

On removal of the injectors, I inspected the wiring loom only to discover several cracks in the casing of the wires.  The loom is encased in the top of the engine, under the cam-cover so subject to hot oil sloshing around which degrades it over time.  It made sense to replace this whilst I was there in order to stave off future problems.  On going to FCA for a replacement, I was quoted a staggering €950 + VAT.  Car is only worth around €3K at this stage so I looked for an alternative.  Happily, I found what looked to be the exact same part, albeit with a different part-no, for around €130 incl' VAT & shipping (£112 GBP) !  It was a calculated risk but worth it.  So if you have this issue, check out this part here:- https://www.vag247.com/en_US/p/Injector-wiring-loom-with-glow-plug-connections-2.0-TDI/1133. Note, the VW designation for this engine is BKD.  Fitment is exactly the same.

For the record, the original VW part no fitted to my engine is 03G971826A.  The replacement part no is 03G971033L (as shown in the link above).   

I could also have sourced this part from Skoda (which is part of VAG) for €154 incl' VAT, so what are FCA playing at with their pricing?

I'm happy to report that the car is now back to normal and running very well.  I'm pleased I was able to complete the work at reasonable cost :-)

Pic attached showing the top of the engine, injectors in the middle of the pic & loom just below

TopOfEngine.jpg

Edited by JohnnyRevs

Great you got it done. Wish we had Journey diesels over here.

I think the pricing issue is the double mark up. VW sells part and marks it up, then Dodge resells it and marks it up again.

We have car companies here that put their names on Korean cars that have the same parts pricing problem.

Ford has used Yamaha engines on a few occasions, engine parts are almost double if you own one of these vehicles.

Good engines, very pricy parts.