Sooo wife’s alternator DOA

Alternator packed it in on hottest day of year; around 115k miles so a little bit early maybe. Dealer sells a reman for same price as aftermarket guys, 2 yr warranty if they change it, one if DIY. Half price from new unit, so kinda reasonable. The interesting part was a plastic (oil guard their words) thingy and the two new studs and detailed instructions with torque specs for the alternator install. 

Alternator is right below valve cover oil fill spout. No funnel and a sloppy oil change, easily drips oil right into alternator cooling fins...and then into electronics. So this is a necessary and useful retrofit that adds only minutes to the replacement job.

My torque coupler was fine, even main bearings were very smooth and had lots of life IMO. Electronics failed internally (not diodes I tested that) so there was virtually no voltage/amperage coming out of alternator. It was labeled with Denso, one of the better electrical component manufacturers which was surprising to see. New unit just says Mopar reman so possibly rebuilt Denso.

Had to replace one noisy idler pulley, belt only 1.5 yrs old, and it’s back on road. Around a 1.5 hr job including glycol reinstall.

DF93D03F-45A6-415F-A30F-9D2F3CB885A9.jpeg

E5C35D94-3654-46E8-8BD3-14A3B90AA659.jpeg

11CBE78A-28D9-4236-AB32-012FA2B1FEEF.jpeg

F82A71D7-9F9D-49BA-ADD8-675A324B96CB.jpeg

I’m second owner, but he gave me all service records; so pretty sure it was original part. Reman units would have a different tag, it still had the oem Denso label. It’s even the original battery, but it can’t go another winter. Mainly hiway miles may have helped.

Does your alternator now have the plastic add on guard? The paper work shows for up to 2015, so all journey from factory had the upgrade after that I assume.

If you do oil changes with a funnel or have them done by place that is not messy. There shouldn’t be any oil drips on alternator.

Guard wouldn’t be necessary.  I’m not sure if 2.4 alternator has this plastic guard as well after 2015. Maybe someone can check.