Blend Door Actuator Calibration

Gerix

Hey guys! I'm brand new here but it seems like there are a lot of folks out there with similar issues and I'm hoping I can get some input from the group.

I'm replacing the blend door actuator on the passenger side that controls the cold/hot air. I have the old one out, have the new on in but I cant figure out the best way to calibrate the new one to the system. Basically, I need to have the new actuator in the exact position that the old one died in AND have the touchscreen temperature match that position as well. Am I over-thinking this? What's the best way to get this new actuator calibrated with the position the system is currently in?

Thanks!

found this on goggle dont know if it really works ..good luck...............

Blend Door Actuator Motor Calibration

1. Turn ignition key to the on position and turn on the HVAC system.
  2. Move the key to the off position.
  3. Open hood (bonnet for the RHD guys) and locate fuse #15 in the fuse box next to the battery.
  4. Remove the fuse and wait 1-2 minutes for any capacitive charges in the system to dissipate.
  5. Replace the fuse.
  6. Turn the ignition key to the on position. You can now watch the motors move as the system goes through the calibration routine. Leave the key on for a couple of minutes to make sure that the calibration routine is completed before turning it off. You will also be able to hear additional activity as all the doors and fan speed are calibrated.

You may have to run the cal routine a couple of times to get the system back to full functionality. If the position of the new door is significantly different from the point at failure, the system will successively move toward the new correct position setting. It may take two or three cycles for the system to move to the correct position.

Following up here. I think this is the easiest way to "calibrate" the new actuator manually:

1. Connect the actuator to the power connector, and just let it hang loosely. Turn on the car.
  2. Turn the heat all the way up on the climate control. This will trigger the actuator to go to "hot".
  3. Manually figure out how the blend door arm needs to be do deliver hot air (the arm needs to be all the way up and you can use your hand to get it there).
  4. Turn the car off.
  5. You now know that the climate control, the actuator and the air door are set to "hot". The arm connected to the actuator itself will need some guess and check to make sure that its in the up- most position when you install it and tighten the three screws.
  6. Once installed, turn the car back on and slowly turn the heat down to test the placement of the actuator arm. Once turned all the way down to cool, the cool air should be coming from the vents.

There's probably a way that the dealership could have done this electronically, but this worked fine for me. I hope it helps someone else.

Thank you!

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For anyone who needs this information, the fuse for this is in the box under the glove box, NOT the engine bay. Third row away from the passenger seat, fifth fuse from the left. F109. Pull this for a minute or so, then reinsert and follow the rest of the instructions that 2late4u posted.