2014 Journey SE

Joel

I posted this in Brake, Chassis & suspension as well. I have a 2014 Journey SE, 2.4L, Auto, with roughly 135,000 miles. It has started shaking really bad, but doesn't do it all the time. It may shake for a day and then not do it again for weeks. I've checked bearings, tie rod ends, a frames, struts, all the things I can think of that might normally cause the issue. Engine runs smoothly even when it shakes. I'm scratching my head on this one. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

I haven't checked the engine mounts, but I will check them tomorrow. It will drive perfectly for a month or so and then just shake like it's about to fall a part for a day, then won't do it again for a month or so. 

10 hours ago, John/Horace said:

Scan for codes, even if mil light is not turned on. 

I had it scanned today. No codes found. The only other real issue I have with it is that it jumps mileage. One time the car wasn't driven for a month and the next time I got in and started it, the odometer showed over 10,000 more miles than when I parked it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for reporting back. You found it yourself ? They also call it the c/v intermediate shaft some times.

Rockauto has no listing for the 2.4  part for some reason, odd. It’s fairly cheap for 3.6 model.

I have changed one of these on a Hyundai a few years back, somebody on this site had this problem last year, asked about how to change it but never reported back what happened. 

If you had the shaft off it’s possible just the bearing could be sourced and the shaft reused. Or maybe the same bearing is used on 3.6 assembly and it can be moved over to your used shaft.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2014,journey,3.6l+v6,3300354,drivetrain,cv+intermediate+shaft,14499

Edited by John/Horace

Yes I found it myself. For some reason it's a dealer only item for the 2.4 and it's $317. I found a used one on a journey that only has 16k miles on it for $90. 

I found it after the shaking got a lot worse and found the bearing had blown out completely.

1 hour ago, John/Horace said:

Thanks for reporting back. You found it yourself ? They also call it the c/v intermediate shaft some times.

Rockauto has no listing for the 2.4  part for some reason, odd. It’s fairly cheap for 3.6 model.

I have changed one of these on a Hyundai a few years back, somebody on this site had this problem last year, asked about how to change it but never reported back what happened. 

If you had the shaft off it’s possible just the bearing could be sourced and the shaft reused. Or maybe the same bearing is used on 3.6 assembly and it can be moved over to your used shaft.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2014,journey,3.6l+v6,3300354,drivetrain,cv+intermediate+shaft,14499

Unfortunately because of the way it's made you can't replace just the bearing. After talking to the dealership the only other models that have the same part are the 2008 avenger and 200, but only if they are the 2.4 AWD models.

Last time I replaced a passenger side CV shaft bearing  on a Caravan,  noise was gone. Then, I was able to hear the noise from the drivers side now !  Could this be the case too, your better off changing both sides at the same time ? I also found that going with the OEM parts seemed to be an easier install than aftermarket in this case. I bought both just in case prior to doing the job.

The original c/v shafts I find our usually better quality than the reman Cardone shafts that everyone seems to sell cheap.

I have had them wear really early out or be noisy right out of the box and have to immediately exchange the shaft for another one.                 I would stick with originals as long as possible. There are cheap new Chinese c/v shafts around as well, probably better than reman units.

No difference changing oem or aftermarket, shafts have to be an exact fit always. Plug and play. Lube new shaft end to protect lip seal on transmission

The originals are generally better, but I have had good luck with some of the reman parts. This is my wife's car so I usually make sure I buy the better quality parts. My next project will be my Xterra. I let my son take it to his grandmother's the other day and it overheated on him and blew the head gasket.