How to manually turn the driveshaft

Cincy

Hi all.  The flexjoint/coupler is being removed due to it's obvious damage and I'm having an issue with the last bolt (took 5 of the six off laying under the vehicle) because the shredded coupler is covering the last nut and I can't get a wrench on it to hold it long enough to unscrew the bolt.  So, I over-rode the shifter and placed the journey in neutral; had it on jacks and still could not manually turn the driveshaft by hand.  What am I doing wrong?  I had the journey on acc; no brakes/ebrakes on, and still could not move the driveshaft.  Any help would be appreciated.  2011 Dodge Journey AWD 146k  3.6L

20190817_144745.jpg

seems like it should turn, might be real hard to do by hand,what were you using to turn it? try a pipe wrench or if it is still connected all the way back jack the rear end up and try turning the wheels might work

Well, no need to turn the shaft - decided to cut the rubber coupler away from the bolt, sawed a 17 mm wrench in half to fit up by the nut and got it out.  all nuts were worn as shown here

20190818_131744.jpg

Finally got the coupler out...new one going in same way taken out.  Walk through would be:

1. Jack driver's side vehicle up until both tires off ground; secure with stands.  This is for those of you who aren't down with jacks holding a 5600 lbs vehicle in the air.  

2. 15mm socket; one long neck 1/4 drive extension; 5 inch 1/4 drive extension.

3. 17mm open box wrench.

4. Lubricant.

5. Get under vehicle and mark drive shaft to output.

6. Socket on bolts, wrench on nuts.  6 total.  You can get to them all without having to turn the driveshaft much less raise the vehicle significantly.

7. Pry bar or similar tools to dislodge coupler from shaft and output.  Spacers are holding it together, so pry those or tap them out until coupler loose.

8. Push driveshaft towards front of vehicle and lower.

9. Remove coupler and any remaining spacers.

10. Reassemble.

11. Dorman Driveshaft Coupler 935-302.  Made in Germany.

20190818_153405.jpg

6 hours ago, Cincy said:

Wow, a lot of help you are; posting in the awd section.  Some kind of special I'm sure.

No need to be rude. We have lots of members who post in lots of sections. There are no walls between sections. We try to help where we can. Sometimes that may mean only offering words of encouragement.