2012 Dodge Journey: Radio failed, display blank

Howdy, y'all. Daughter's 2012 Journey (3.6l, 156K mi) has coupla electrical problems. Firstly, the radio, UConnect Touch 4.3" screen, is blank. To fix a related problem, recall T47 ("Steering Wheel Wiring"), she took it to a local dealer, and asked to have the UConnect system checked. The tech assigned to the workorder told the service writer that the system must be replaced. The part alone is $400. The steering-wheel wiring recall was addressed with the installation of coupla wiring sleeves, but the Journey was released with even more problems. Now, the 4-way flashers don't work, nor does F and R a/c. Ventilation fan also doesn't work. I phoned the service writer and complained, and she told me what I expected: "Bring it back and we'll look at it." Oh, and the bill was $160 for "inspection."

I phoned FCA owner support at (800) 992-1997 and filed a report. I don't accept that a vehicle is released to the owner with more circuit failures. Obviously the tech didn't bother to check.

I read that the UConnect Touch problem can be fixed by pulling fuses to initialize the box. Also found a service bulletin, 08-048-11 Revision A, that describes a firmware update to fix another problem that daughter complained about, and that was high radio volume when starting engine.

Anybody seen this before, and what's the fix?

Had the radio volume oh high issue years ago in our 2012  SXT 4.3 " screen / 3.6 L, it was fixed with an update I believe. But, have had the radio sometimes not work at all / almost frozen it seems on and off for years now., dealer confirmed latest firmware etc.... Since that system was out of warranty, there was no way I was giving them hundreds of bucks to fix. I simply turn engine off and on at the next stop and a reset occurs fixing the issue. Sucks that you live with a problem because the issue is too expensive to fix, radio replacement .

You can pick up used replacement radios ad display panels (especially the 4.3" ones) for cheap in scrap yards and on ebay.  You can put the satellite version into a on satellite (you won't get XM unless you do the antenna, mind you) and the non sat in your XM equipped unit (and of coure you wouldn't get XM reception), but hey are, for all intents interchangeable.  Swapping the radio and screen takes all of 10 minutes.

You WILL need to get an unlock code for your new radio, which some dealers will give you for free and which you can apparently purchase from online sites.

Edited by bramfrank

Better news. Took it to the local dealer and insisted that their best tech do the work. Using the scan tool (I think), the tech reset the radio and it now works correctly. Not exactly sure what he did but, because we were "come-backs" the labor was waived. Also installed a new rear wiper blade at no cost, though the Mopar blade, made in Japan, was $21. The UConnect website sez that no firmware updates are pending, after I entered the VIN (https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/dodge.html)

Thanks for your responses. Appreciate the help. Now hafta fix the small coolant leak. And I don't think that the plugs have ever been replaced (156K miles).