Oil filter cap stripped

DodgeDad

Ok good evening everyone, 

So I have a 2016 Dodge Journey sxt 3.6l 

i been doing my own oil changes since I get it off the lot brand new but my wife was using it for a few months while I rode my motorcycle,  so it was knocking in the back of my head my baby needs a oil change by now and the wife didn day anything yet so I ask her and they she told me the desvistating news, she took it too quick lube  so now 5000miles later it’s time to change oil and guess what I see, a stripped oil filter cap....so now I need help on how to get it off!!!

C227F617-DDC5-4926-BBA6-15DB7CDC69C4.jpeg

9F3040B3-2CA1-416B-A104-00DBC1CF2E07.jpeg

35 minutes ago, DodgeDad said:

Ok good evening everyone, 

So I have a 2016 Dodge Journey sxt 3.6l 

i been doing my own oil changes since I get it off the lot brand new but my wife was using it for a few months while I rode my motorcycle,  so it was knocking in the back of my head my baby needs a oil change by now and the wife didn day anything yet so I ask her and they she told me the desvistating news, she took it too quick lube  so now 5000miles later it’s time to change oil and guess what I see, a stripped oil filter cap....so now I need help on how to get it off!!!

C227F617-DDC5-4926-BBA6-15DB7CDC69C4.jpeg

9F3040B3-2CA1-416B-A104-00DBC1CF2E07.jpeg

i would take it back with the paperwork and or the credit card paperwork and raise holy hell with them and make them reimburse you for what a new cap will cost,if they dont want to help you demand to see the manger or general manger or  owner till you get it done. to remove the cap i would try a strap wrench that would go around the top of the cap something like a oil ratchet only with a rubber strap. good luck

Ok so here the update, I took it took the shop that messed up the filter cap and showed them the payment for oil change and they said because they stripped it and couldn’t get it off it was half price but if they take it off I had to pay the full price and they will order a cap for my car which would take 2hrs to arrive....WTF so asked for the manager and he said that he feels bad and if I can pay for their services they will even throw in the next oil change for free, I told him I will give them nothing for damages and not changing my oil filter from the last job and I will just do it and sue for damages and cost and stress... so he gonna fix it but need time to get the part, I tried everything to get it loose but I need to be broken off, they used a damm power tool to put caps on the manage said, “we don’t want our mechanics being hurt using hand tools”. 

2 hours ago, DodgeDad said:

Ok so here the update, I took it took the shop that messed up the filter cap and showed them the payment for oil change and they said because they stripped it and couldn’t get it off it was half price but if they take it off I had to pay the full price and they will order a cap for my car which would take 2hrs to arrive....WTF so asked for the manager and he said that he feels bad and if I can pay for their services they will even throw in the next oil change for free, I told him I will give them nothing for damages and not changing my oil filter from the last job and I will just do it and sue for damages and cost and stress... so he gonna fix it but need time to get the part, I tried everything to get it loose but I need to be broken off, they used a damm power tool to put caps on the manage said, “we don’t want our mechanics being hurt using hand tools”. 

i would get his offer in writing, so when they screw it up big time, you will have it in writing using a power tool on this cap is crazy as you just hand tighten it snug as any more and you might damage the o ring..... be careful they dont damage the bottom  side of the oil filter housing it will probably be damaged and the whole unit is $$$$ I would also be allowed to watch them do the repair in person so you will see what they are doing and if they are messing it up again.also make sure they are using the right oil filter as there are 2 different ones for the 3.6 engine

Edited by 2late4u