Arrangement of kids in the back seats.

DFW Rusty

We just bought a '14 DJ with third row seat and are figuring out the arrangement for our kiddos. We have 3 kids, 10 year old girl, 2 year old girl, 3 month old girl. Our 10 year old already called the 3rd row all to herself. However, the toddler and infant car seats will be interfering with the repeatedly moving seat that our oldest will be sliding to climb in and out. Anyone else hit this wall? My wife is shopping for narrower toddler seats today, but I don't know if she found anything. Too bad we cant remove one of the second row seats to make for easy entrance for our 10 year old.

Edited by DFW Rusty

I did look at it last night and I do believe I could remove the second row driver side seat. Thus allowing easy access into the third row seat. It is as simple as 4 bolts and it's out. However given that we just bought the car Thursday, my wife wouldn't let me test my theory. For now we have the kids 3 wide on the second row, but we have a big road trip coming up in May and I think then my wife will be more open to my idea about removing one of the seats on the second row.

i have the one seat in the back so havent looked but if that is all no problem removing the 4 bolts that is how they did at the factory. are trying to say both car seats to still be put in the second seat even if you remove the partial one? is the child safety

seat hooks still there for both of them?

I remember those days...I eventually ended up with four kids and two car seats. That led to me hesitantly going out and buying a full size Windstar van (when we had our third). Although I did not enjoy driving a van, it made life so much easier. Plenty of room for the double stroller and other stuff, and I just opened the door and they all made their way to their seats as we set the carrier in. I don't really think any SUV is ideal for two+ car seats unless you have the captain seat model (I think those are the monster size SUV's). I would definitely consider the rear hatch option before removing seats and I would definitely advise getting a rooftop carrier of some sort for the long trips. I have the less expensive Jegs rooftop carrier and it makes trips so much easier. I'm curious if there is even enough room to fit two car seats in the 60% portion of the 2nd row seat, and how stable the one hanging off the open side would be since I believe a portion of it would extend off the side. I totally understand your dilemma.

Have the 10 year old climb through the rear hatch until the 2 year old is bigger and stable enough to ride in a booster seat. Then move the oldest (probably 12 by then) to the middle row and the middle child to the back.

We're about to have #4.  Fortunately, the DJ is my daily driver, not my wife's.  She's got the van.  For the DJ (and only when needed), we're going to have an 8 year old and a not-quite 6 year old in booster seats in the 3rd row, a rear facing seat for the not quite 3 year old in the second row, and the infant carrier without base on the 40 split side of the 2nd row.  Everyone will be able to get in easily enough.  By the time the formula changes, the 2nd youngest could ride in a booster in a pinch (which is the only need for the DJ to be the people hauler anyway).