Active Head Restraints

Philster

I don't know what to say about this, my front headrest stay at whatever setting I have them at. The manual doesn't mention anything about this feature, except to say that you can raise the headrest without pressing the release, but the release must be pressed to lower the headrest.

Sorry I don't have anything else for you...

Well, I appreciate the feedback regardless. Question, if you set your head rest down to it's lowest position yours stays in that location and does not rise? I do not think there is any sensor that knows how tall the driver is. I'm 5' 11". I'll lower mine down tonight before driving home and see if it indeed raises itself.

Phil.

• 9 months later...

I finally pulled one of the headrest out of my 2010 R/T, so now I know a little better on how these things work. The headrest does not have any high tech methods of being attached to the seats, they just use the little indents like a regular headrest to go up and down. There is a wire that runs inside the chrome tube that goes into the plastic box on the back side of the headrest, this activates the unit when you are rear ended (not sure if its explosives or a motor that pushes the padding forward). Your headrest should not go up or down automatically unless you have a loose clip and gravity allows it fall lower into the seat.

On a side note, does anyone know how to bypass the active headrest sensor so the airbag light doesn't come on? I measured 2.5 ohm resistance, so I will try a resistor in the plug, but any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

• 8 years later...