daytime running lights

Hi,

I just purchased a 2011 Dodge Journey LUX and will be importing it from the US to Canada in a few days. As a result I will need to enable the DRLs.

I found a couple of older threads discussing the activation/installation of DRLs, but haven't found anything definitive on the subject for 2011s. I'm wondering if this is simply a matter of changing the country code to Canada with the Starscan tool or if a module will be needed, and roughly what the cost would be. I have called a couple of dealers as well as Canadian Tire about this and they all seem pretty vague ("bring it in then we'll tell you") and the cost estimates have varied wildly so I want to ensure that I'm not paying for something that I don't need.

Thanks!

I saw that thread but there wasn't a resolution. I suppose that it's possible that some of the US models still have the setting in uConnect even though they're not equipped with the actual DRL option (which is apparently a $40 fleet option). I suspect that if you purchased that option, they just program them to work from the factory.

I haven't picked mine up yet but will definitely look for that option in uConnect and try it if it's there. If it doesn't work I'll bring it to the dealer and hopefully it's just a matter of changing the country code and is a cheap fix as a result. I'll post back when I get it resolved.

The 4.3 UConnect in my US spec Mainstreet has the option to have the DRLs on/off. I would think the 8.4 would have the same option. They are reduced power high beam and only come on with her running and in reverse or drive. Also the parking brake turns them off. If you don't have the option then I would think the dealer would be able to activate at no charge using Star Scan since it would be a vehicle violation in Canada otherwise (and she's brand new). But then it could be said you bought the car outside Canada and have to have it comply.

Edited by coolram62

I just picked up my Journey yesterday and it has the option in uConnect, but the DRLs don't work. Judging from some of the other posts I've seen, it looks like this option is in uConnect for many of the US models even if the Journey wasn't shipped with them enabled. Probably just an oversight by the manufacturer.

The dealer will definitely charge for enabling them since it's actually a used model. Any new model that is destined for the Canadian market would already have had them installed in running (without an option to turn them off I would think). One dealer said it would be about $50 if the module is there, I'll find out in a week or so after I get the import form sent to me and then the mods done for the inspection.

So I went to a dealer and they changed the country code to Canada, but couldn't get the DRLs to come on. They said that I may have to wait a few hours or overnight before they come on, but I somehow doubt that. I then took it to another dealer who said that they first have to call Chrysler Canada and get some sort of code, wait 24 hours, then enable them. They couldn't do it now because the Chrysler office was closed for the day. Sounds like it might've been a better idea to just leave the country as US and just enable the DRL option there.

Oh and my DRL option in uConnect (which had a check box but didn't work) is gone now that the country code has been set to Canada (which makes sense because you wouldn't be allowed to have an option to turn them off in Canada).

You'd think that getting the lights on when the module is already there would be a simple thing but I guess not! Now I have to wait a couple of more days at least to get the vehicle registered.

Finally got mine working. Looks like what they had to do was call Chrysler Canada first and have the sales code added to my build configuration, then way 24 hours for it to take. After that they were able to reflash the car computer and that got it working.

I took it over for the RIV inspection immediately after then went over to get the car registered so it's finally all done! Just have to get the plates mounted now though, I don't have any holes on the front bumper since front plates weren't required in North Carolina.

• 1 year later...