Coolant question

Thuya

My 13 journey temperature gage usually sits at the half mark. Lately it has been going above that if im sitting at a red light too long. I had the system bleed and it didnt do it again. But then a week later its doing it again. Once i start moving or rev my engine it comes back down. I looked under the hood and it looks like all the antifreeze went back into the reservoir. What could it be please help

2 hours ago, Thuya said:

My 13 journey temperature gage usually sits at the half mark. Lately it has been going above that if im sitting at a red light too long. I had the system bleed and it didnt do it again. But then a week later its doing it again. Once i start moving or rev my engine it comes back down. I looked under the hood and it looks like all the antifreeze went back into the reservoir. What could it be please help

Don't drive it you will warp the cylinder heads. If I had to guess 1.thermostat if it is bad if your lucky it's not opening properly 2. If it's only overheating at stop/ traffic lights then your electrical fans are not working. 3.water pump is not working/ leaking 4. Blew your head gasket 

At what temp is the fan supposed to come on at? Just finished replacing head gasket and having head decked on my 2013 Journey.  Temp comes up to about 188-190, then back down, but fan has not come on.  I have not let it run long enough to go above that temp, so just wondering at what temp the fan is supposed to come on.

Just now, Thuya said:

I let the car run to see when the fans kicked on. They came on when it hit 215.

Good to hear I know rippperformance sells a thermostat that will open at 180 degrees if your trying to keep your 3.6L block cooler just letting you know. 

• 2 weeks later...