Awd

boogie_nights

I'm curious, I'm new to awd and when going down a slight downgrade my 2012 Dodge Journey sxt downshifts it feels like... Is it my awd wheels all working together? It almost feels like it's going to a lower gear, I also have been told awd is awesome... I do love my journey... And I also wash my black beauty all the time...

Yeah mine too... I thought about disabling the traction button, what's the purpose for that? Is it a rain snow mud only ensintive ? It stays engaged 24/7...

Yes it's on 24/7 unless you loose traction in a side slip fashion then

the EVIC will indicate its actuation and the DJ will straighten right out.

The button will disable it when desired but I personally have not

found that need.

Your DJ will act like a typical FWD car until slippage is detected. It will then transfer power to the rear wheels. Unfortunately, it is not like a typical 4wd vehicle. You will feel/ hear all kinds of weird things going on as the power train transfers power between front, back left and right. If you think something is wrong, I suggest taking it up with your servicing dealer.

Having said all of the above, the transmission is kind of strange about downshifting. Yes, it WILL downshift when decelerating and coasting (so to speak) to a stop. It does this to keep the engine RPMs as close to the torque peak (the point where the engine puts out maximum torque, which coincides with the best mpg point) as possible, which is why many cars these days have 6,8 and 9 speed transmissions - they'd use CVTs if they were reliable enough and just let the engine run at 2200 or so RPM forever, using the transmission to accelerate.

For some reason the transmissions in the Dodge will downshift, rather than waiting for the driver to press the accelerator to do so. Likely that is what you are feeling. It isn't how I would have programed the thing, but then I don't work for FCA.

Downshifting while coasting downhill is normal when it detects the vehicle is gaining speed without driver input via the accelerator pedal.

AWD is normally off, and kicks on only when the traction control system detects wheel slip at the front wheels. Switching off the traction control (or as much of it as the TCS button permits), turns on the AWD all the time (until TCS is turned on again). During the winter months, when the snow is fresh, I'll locate a large empty parking lot and have some fun with my AWD R/T's TCS dialed down. Yes, you can kick out the rear end of a Journey, and do donuts. When it's snowy, anyway.