Newbie- Seeking advice regarding purchase

Hello All!

So happy to have found this forum! Wondering if anyone can offer any advice as a result of their experience with the Journey. I have never owned a Dodge vehicle before. Hubby has owned about 6 Rams within last 10 years and is very satisfied with the Dodge brand. Currently, my budget allows for me to either buy used so that I can afford all the options or buy brand new with less options and "add on" options as time/funds allow. Currently, I am looking at a couple different ways to possibly go and am looking for any feedback anyone has to offer. Here are the possible purchases: (In case it is important, I am in Canada)

1. Brand new 2013 SXT AWD for $21,300. I would research possibilities/cost of adding on 8.4 screen with nav/backup camera and sunroof aftermarket if that is an option?

2. Used 2011 SXT, 39,000km, with upgraded rims and remote start at $16,900. Again, I would want to add on 8.4 screen with nav/backup camera, sunroof.

3. Used 2011 RT, 42,000km, with all options except sunroof at $21,900. I would look into getting aftermarket sunroof put in.

Can anyone offer their feedback as far as whether or not it's a good idea to purchase options/accessories aftermarket? And, would anyone have any good referrals as far as suppliers/providers of these services within Canada (Ontario specifically)?

I would naturally like to keep monthly payments down as much as possible and am leaning towards the $16,900 SXT but am unfamiliar with the costs associated with adding on aftermarket 8.4 screen;/sunroof...thinking it might be easier or more cost effective just to pay more in purchase price for model that has the options I'm looking for?

I appreciate any and all feedback! Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. This is our first Dodge as well - Our GM loyality has came to an end.

I have to agree with Redman - new is the way to go but once you start adding packages, that $21,300 can quickly become $30,000+++ so...

Option #3

Understanding that you would like to keep payments to a minimum, your option #3 sounds like the way to go. You get everything the RT offers (Rims, Leather, Heated Seats, etc) just add the sunroof.

Adding the 8.4 with Nav to a used DJ will run you upwards of $1500.00 installed. Adding a sunroof can run from $400.00 (cheap) up to $1500.00 for one that will operate like factory installed. Adding the backup camera will run around $800.00 installed. Lots to think about eh? :)

Good luck.

Thank you both for your feedback. The same things you had pointed out is what is causing me confusion :) I have the budget to go brand new but I see that $400 plus payment and my stomach turns. I do have a Chrysler control # (friends & family discount) so that might help. Would either of you know if that discount is a "standard amount off" or will it vary from dealer to dealer? Also, is this discount taken into consideration on top of any cash allowance discounts from the manufacturer? Thanks for your help & taking the time to respond!

Thanks so much for your help dodgeFan72! May I ask one more question, please? The current incentive online at dodge.ca states "receive $5625 in total discounts".......this is for the Journey Ultimate Package (seen here http://www.dodgeoffers.ca/special-offers/ontario/en/dodge/Journey/ultimate )

Dumb question, but does that mean they would discount that amount off msrp and then take off another 1% off that remaining amount? This is pre-tax correct? How do I know which Journey models qualify in this program? Any help is appreciated!

When I purchased my DJ last December, my dealer took 1% off msrp (the sticker price listed on the window) + I still got all the current rebates. The sticker price was $25,800 so the discount worked out to $258 but they rounded it up to an even $300. I live in KY so I don't know if Canada is the same. The control # should work on any Chrysler vehicle.

Adding the 8.4 screen plus back up cam should run around 800-1000 w/out nav if you get second hand parts. (Doing the work yourself)

There's also a known issue with no resolution in sight with adding the 8.4 screen. Your climate control w/out auto isn't completely compatible with the 8.4 wich is an auto climate control.

I'd go for a mid '12 to a '13 if I'd were you. There's known issues with the breakes from earlier years.

We haven't had any brake problems with our but, we're putting about 6k miles a year on ours. If you're going to be driving it a lot, it's best to go with the new brakes.

Btw, the bigger brakes only come on the AWD models or RT.

Good Day,

When it comes to your discount the website where you got the contol# from should explain how the process works and what the discount is that you should expect.

I did this with my Journey but it was one that I was able to get through my work not the family and friends discount.

For mine it was only valid on new/demo models (used vehicles were excluded) and any factory incentives were included on top of this before tax.

Have a great day!

Btw, the bigger brakes only come on the AWD models or RT.

That may have been the case in the past, but my 2013 Crew FWD has the same brakes as an AWD Crew or R/T. Only the suspension calibration is changed from FWD to AWD - the AWD setups get Performance Suspension vs. Touring for the FWD models.

soontobejourneyowner - if you can hold out for a few more weeks, you may consider going to a 2014 model. There will be additional items standard on the SXT for 2014 without a significant price increase, if any. I had second thoughts about the payments too, but once I got the car and started making them I stopped thinking about it.