???17 inch winter wheels rub on brake caliper

wrxz24

So just went in to test fit my tires/rims today and everything cleared fine. There is only about 1/4 inch clearance with nearly new brake pads but they don't touch.

The service manager said he would prefer more clearance but was comfortable with the fit.

Planning on getting all four installed mid-Nov.

Hi, I'm just wondering what sounds and lights flash on the dash if you don't have TPMS sensors installed? I don't want to get the sensors for my winter wheels and don't want to have to listen to a non-stop warning chime if that is what happens? A small light on the dash I can live with. Thanks.

Hi, I'm just wondering what sounds and lights flash on the dash if you don't have TPMS sensors installed? I don't want to get the sensors for my winter wheels and don't want to have to listen to a non-stop warning chime if that is what happens? A small light on the dash I can live with. Thanks.

I'll know for sure next month, but I've heard that there is only an initial warning when the TPMS are not detected, but after some driving I think it just displays N/A in the tire pressure menu of the EVIC and not a constant light or annoying alarm.

• 2 weeks later...

If the tire gets too wide then there is less weight on each square inch of road contact and that means less grip. I'm sure with the small differences between the size of tires that we are limited to it doesn't really make much difference. I can just remember having my 81 Camero with 245's on 15" rims (wide tires for 20 years ago) and they were great for cornering in the summer but absolutely sucked in the winter.

You did not just spell that Camero. Shame on you, Canadien.

Does anyone know if the 16x6.5 steel wheels from Tire Rack's winter wheel/tire combo will work on a 2009 R/T?

2009 R/T does not have the larger front brake caliper that was introduced mid way through the 2012 production year.

So as far as I know, 16s should fit models that have the smaller brake calipers in front.

Ok thanks. For some reason I thought the 09/10 R/T and SXT had bigger brakes than the base model, which is what that size wheel was designed for.

Just want to make sure I don't make a mistake... I'm about to pull the trigger on this package really soon.

Edited by Slick26

You did not just spell that Camero. Shame on you, Canadien.

:confused: The shame!! Zo i cante spel thee moost bestest. :dreamy:

:backtotopic: Anyway, got my winters installed yesterday, no problems but it does look like a close fit. They ride real nice, not loud at all. Have a road trip tomorrow with a full vehicle so we will see how they perform.

Pics are in my gallery.

The baby moon hubcaps are looking like a good idea, might paint them black though. Might have to look in to this a bit more. If there are any others in Ottawa that want to do a group order it might be something to consider, save on shipping. I'll see if I can find a local source first though.

Assuming I can get the right rim (so far only actually tested fitted a few at CT) the avg price for brand name tires and 17' steels are around 1100-1200 with the Costco quote lower still, and they all prices mentioned included the balancing and taxes. If you haven't already made the purchase, you might want to try and knock them down a little. Rim price shouldn't be more than 89.99+tax a piece, you can find good brand name winter tires quite easy for less than 200+tax each, balancing is quite cheap, and installation is usually free when you buy the tires and have them installed from the same place.

Also, the link you provided is for 225/55/17. The correct size is 225/65/17.

The break down was:

4 225/65R17 TBC Atric Claw TXI 102T $859.28

4 Wheel Blanace $ 92

Valve Stem $13.80

4 17 steel rims 319.96

Tire Collection fee 23.96

Total with tax $1478

Includes:

Free install

Free rotation (includes taking the winters off and putting the 19's back on)

Lifetime balancing

Free Flat Repairs

Here is a pic of the tire and rim:

http://www.flickr.co...N00/8149019047/

Edited by drozz

Got 17" alloys on monday from the Dealer, voiced my concern about them fitting and asked about their return policy. Oxford Dodge in London Ontario is a great place, they listen to you and i didn't remember to ask about that when i bought them but i got a call from a rep asking how the service was and she got someone to call me right back, again, really reseptive. Would recommend them. All in at 1666.97 with a set of locking lugs i bought as well. BFG WinterSlalom. Will try to post a pic, but my cold air intake thread only allowed me to upload 1. Also have to put them on this weekend, as the degrees are slipping and we had snow today. Will let you know how they work

Here is the pic of the rimspost-6323-0-97211200-1352260535_thumb.jp

Edited by moparviens

Well had the snows put on yesterday. Surprisingly quiet ride.Tpms works great. Plugged gps in and there is 1km difference between speedo and gps below 80 , 2kms diff above that. Speedo shows faster than GPS speed.

Mine is 3km off, the Journey shows I am doing 125, but the GPS shows 122

Hey now!

Does anyone know how to determine when the new larger calipers were being installed? I just bought a used Journey (2012), ... and I also ordered some of those X47326 from Costco. :( I think my Journey was an early 2012 though... I can check the manufacture date by the VIN right?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey now!

Does anyone know how to determine when the new larger calipers were being installed? I just bought a used Journey (2012), ... and I also ordered some of those X47326 from Costco. :( I think my Journey was an early 2012 though... I can check the manufacture date by the VIN right?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The build date should also be posted on the sticker inside the driver door. I believe the models that started getting the larger brakes were the 2012 AWDs built in early 2012.

I have the bigger calipers and mine was built in May.

If you have the model with the bigger calipers and are getting steel rims, you will need part number X44753 in order to have room for the front calipers. If you don't have the larger caliper there are other options in steels, but this part number will ensure caliper clearance no matter which model you have.

Looks like mine was manufactured in Feb. 2012. It's not AWD though. I'm wondering if there's any way to determine if I have the larger calipers without bringing it in to try the rim on.

If anybody knows, I'll TIA, :D

Assuming you have the alloy rims, you should be able to just look at it and tell. The large caliper is quite a big larger and thinker than the back ones.

These are the only steelies out there that will fit the new brakes.

Set of blizzak dm-v1, steelies, sensors, mount and balance all in $1400.

We got our steelies from crappy tire.

Sources the tires and sensors from discount tire, 40% savings over local dealers..

Definitely louder than the 19s, but I expected that given the Blizzak tread pattern.

But not intrusive, really only notice it in the corners.

We drive 130km round trip on the sea to sky daily.

Hoping for at least 3 seasons.......

Oh, and this is on a 2013 R/T AWD.

The build date should also be posted on the sticker inside the driver door. I believe the models that started getting the larger brakes were the 2012 AWDs built in early 2012.

I have the bigger calipers and mine was built in May.

If you have the model with the bigger calipers and are getting steel rims, you will need part number X44753 in order to have room for the front calipers. If you don't have the larger caliper there are other options in steels, but this part number will ensure caliper clearance no matter which model you have.

I have a 2012 Journey RT and am wondering if both the vehicle's ECU and the TPMS sensors need to be programmed in order for the new sensors to work? I've read somewhere that the Journey's sensors automatically set themselves with the vehicle's computer?

I want to drop off the steelies and have the shop mount and balance the tires, then I will install the wheels on the vehicle at a later date.

Thanks!

As long as the frequency is correct the Journey will pick up the new sensors automatically after a short drive. Also, if you don't have the sensors there will only be a one time warning when the computer first detects the sensors are missing. For this reason I opted not to send the extra money for sensors this time, maybe next time when I don't have to factor in the cost of new steels.

Assuming you have the alloy rims, you should be able to just look at it and tell. The large caliper is quite a big larger and thinker than the back ones.

Thanks for the tips! It looks like I've got one with the larger calipers (the front ones look bigger than the back ones to the naked eye). They just barely clear the rims now. So, looks like I'm going to have to return the rims to Costco. Anyone have any luck finding the X44753 part at a Costco?? The only place I've seen them is CT, but the price is a little much. I may have to put the winters on the alloy rims... Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks for the tips! It looks like I've got one with the larger calipers (the front ones look bigger than the back ones to the naked eye). They just barely clear the rims now. So, looks like I'm going to have to return the rims to Costco. Anyone have any luck finding the X44753 part at a Costco?? The only place I've seen them is CT, but the price is a little much. I may have to put the winters on the alloy rims... Thanks for the help everyone!

I got mine at Costco (Merivale, Ottawa) . They had to order them in, took about a 10 days. $48 each, awesome price. CT charges double that. I got my tires/rims installed, balanced and mounted for less than $1000 (Bridgestone Blizzaks).

One perk of ordering is something not on the shelf is that they will let you schedule your appointment which is much better than the usual first come/first served.

Those are the ones.

If you can get them at costco, people say they are the cheapest there. You will likely have to call and have them special ordered as they do not list them on the site.

CT will have to order them in as well, but likely only from one of their warehouses.

Hi everyone, new to this forum, I have found a lot of great info on here. I just wanted to clarify the X44753 steel rims will fit a 2012 Crew AWD w/ 19"? I purchased a set of 16" from Tire Rack and they didn't even come close to fitting. Thanks for your help.