My current issue, trying to ditch the 19" rims

itfchaos

Ok I am trying to do away with the 19" rims and get me some 17" on my Journey.

I purchased some 2011 jeep wrangler wheels that have the same bolt pattern, but after trying to fit them on they will rub the brakes.

Jeep wheels:

17 x 7.5

offset 44.45

6in backspace

Journey wheels:

19 x 7

offset 40 (based on what the rim says and measurements) Everyone else says 35 but that isn't what I am getting from measurements

5.5748in backspace (based on calculations)

At this point I have a couple options. Sell the 5 new jeep wrangler tires/wheels I picked up or try some wheel spacers. I am sick and tired of trying to find some smaller wheels that will work on this Journey, so I am tempted to go the easiest route but I worry about the spacers and any potential issues with pushing the wider rims out even further and having a potential rubbing or handling issues.

What would you guys recommend at this point. Any help is appreciated, I am already in a world of hurt from the wife upset at the money I spent on the jeep wheels/tires.

Sell the Jeep wheels and trade someone for his 17" wheels - if you were closer I'd possibly be willing to do a deal with you, depending on tire wear (I have about 3,000 miles on my truck and the wheels and tires are off for the winter). I like the look of the 19" wheels better than the OEM 17" ones on my ride.

Ok, I managed to already sell off the entire set of jeep wheels & tires. That didn't take long at all.

Now to continue my search for 17" wheels that will fit my Journey. Does anyone know of any other dodge/chysler product that the wheels off it would fit the Journey?

I'm just not having any luck finding dodge journey 17" wheels here where I live in Missouri.

Yeah I am pretty set on 17", and I would even rather have an actual dodge vehicle wheel than an aftermarket, not that it matters but I would have better luck at finding them locally.

I searched on tire rack and these are the cheapest 17's I could find that says they will fit the 2010 journey.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=SX780455127S&wheelMake=Sport+Edition&wheelModel=SX&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Dodge&autoModel=Journey&autoYear=2010&autoModClar=SXT+FWD&filterFinish=All&filterSize=All&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Price

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something. I just bought a 2012 RT with the 19 inch wheels. Whats the rush to downsize? With more and more 19's coming out the aftermarket will respond with more selection and choice same way as when the 17 inch wheels came out. Just sayin.

Totally agree Shadow. Tire manufacturers will address as demand goes up.

There are lots of 19" tires availabe from various manufacturers. The problem seems to be the 225/55 profile. Michelin( my tire of choice for over 30 years) produces a 235/55 tire, but not a 225.

I knew going in, that if I purchased the R/T, tire selection will be limited as stated by other forum members, so I can't complain. It was certianly a concern when I was comparing with other vehicles, but once I took the test drive, damn the tire size problem, I'm going to get an R/T as the other makes I tested didn't even come close to the fun factor this vehicle provides.

I just hope that when I am in the market for tires, there is a better selection of 225/55 available from other manufacturers besides Kumho. I have already contacted Michelin and they are not planning on producing 225/55's at this point in time. Drat.

I also know that I can replace with other 19' tires when the time comes, but at the expense of speedomter accuracy. Something that I'm not really keen on. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree Shadow. Tire manufacturers will address as demand goes up.

The demand isn't going up. Auto manufacturers aren't rushing to put 19's on their cars, and people aren't clamoring for aftermarket 19's wheels. It's a dead size.

18" and 20" offer so many more options that pretty much make 19" redundant.

BTW, 235/55-19 is perfectly fine on the Journey. It just isn't cheap. But most 19" tires aren't.

Edited by Slick26

The demand isn't going up. Auto manufacturers aren't rushing to put 19's on their cars, and people aren't clamoring for aftermarket 19's wheels. It's a dead size.

18" and 20" offer so many more options that pretty much make 19" redundant.

BTW, 235/55-19 is perfectly fine on the Journey. It just isn't cheap. But most 19" tires aren't.

The new 2013 Santa fe uses 235/55-19's. The new for Escape Titanium has 235/ 45HR19.0's. Chev Equinox can be optioned with P235/55R19. Even keeping it in the family, many of the Chargers have 19". All of these are high volume main stream vehicles. I'm not too worried about 19" tires not being in demand in the future.

The new 2013 Santa fe uses 235/55-19's. The new for Escape Titanium has 235/ 45HR19.0's. Chev Equinox can be optioned with P235/55R19. Even keeping it in the family, many of the Chargers have 19". All of these are high volume main stream vehicles. I'm not too worried about 19" tires not being in demand in the future.

Ditto. There's plenty of vehicles out there with 19's on them. Won't be hard/expensive at all to find tires for them when the time comes. Luckily I have a couple years hopefully as I'm only at 11k miles on the stock tires.

You don't have to use the stock 225/55/19 tire size. It's a known dealer accepted option (they put out a bulletin) to use 235/55/19's instead (which have way more options and are cheaper).

Thanks onecrazyfoo4u, I wasn't aware that he 235's were OK. The certainly opens up options for me when I want to replace the Kumhos