Galvanized Steel?

lmoore1436

I'm having a hard time finding information on where the Journey uses galvanized steel (if at all), I tried asking the dealer but they are useless. I'm wondering mostly because I plan on keeping the Journey for a LOOOOONG time, and I passed on the dealerships underbody spray (it was a ripoff at 899.00). I do want to get the underbody sprayed, but where they use galvanized steel would let me know if I should do it sooner or later. Thanks!

you would be more wise to purchase a extended warranty for your crossroad as  transmission and the electronics are very expensive for new cars today , check out the forum on them and the sooner you buy it the cheaper it is. all cars are being built a lot better than they were yrs ago but being in AL i dont worry about salt and chemical that they use on the roads but you might want to add the rustproofing as well, good luck on what ever you decide....

Up here in the land of snow and salt we do an annual protective spray, generally using some form of dripless mineral oil - they drill holes in the sheet metal (which they cap with plastic plugs when done) and spray a coating on the inner sheet metal and also the entire underbody - annual is too often in my opinion, but is a requirement for their guarantees - what they don't spray on the Journey, apparently are the rear quarter panels - something to do with access issues - they also don't do the roof pillars and the roof itself or the interior side of the floors.

For this I pay about $90 Canadian per year (that works out to about $70 US) and to give you an idea, an old MY2000 LHS which I bought new ran for 13 years before my son killed the engine - there was just a bit of rust starting at the point where the roof meets the front pillar on the driver's side after all that time.

At 2late4u pointed out, you guys in the US can get a lifetime factory warranty extension - we can only get 7 years in Canada - those electronics cost a fortune and coverage for engines and transmissions can pay for those plans after a while, though FCA is pretty particular about what constitutes normal wear and tear, if it was available to me in Canada and I was keeping my vehicle long enough to justify the cost I would buy it in a flash.

Note that it needs to be a factory OEM warranty; and that in the US you can buy them online at substantial discounts.

15 hours ago, 2late4u said:

you would be more wise to purchase a extended warranty for your crossroad as  transmission and the electronics are very expensive for new cars today , check out the forum on them and the sooner you buy it the cheaper it is. all cars are being built a lot better than they were yrs ago but being in AL i dont worry about salt and chemical that they use on the roads but you might want to add the rustproofing as well, good luck on what ever you decide....

Thanks, I did get the Maximum life care warranty through mopar for that exact reason!

16 hours ago, bramfrank said:

Up here in the land of snow and salt we do an annual protective spray, generally using some form of dripless mineral oil - they drill holes in the sheet metal (which they cap with plastic plugs when done) and spray a coating on the inner sheet metal and also the entire underbody - annual is too often in my opinion, but is a requirement for their guarantees - what they don't spray on the Journey, apparently are the rear quarter panels - something to do with access issues - they also don't do the roof pillars and the roof itself or the interior side of the floors.

For this I pay about $90 Canadian per year (that works out to about $70 US) and to give you an idea, an old MY2000 LHS which I bought new ran for 13 years before my son killed the engine - there was just a bit of rust starting at the point where the roof meets the front pillar on the driver's side after all that time.

At 2late4u pointed out, you guys in the US can get a lifetime factory warranty extension - we can only get 7 years in Canada - those electronics cost a fortune and coverage for engines and transmissions can pay for those plans after a while, though FCA is pretty particular about what constitutes normal wear and tear, if it was available to me in Canada and I was keeping my vehicle long enough to justify the cost I would buy it in a flash.

Note that it needs to be a factory OEM warranty; and that in the US you can buy them online at substantial discounts.

Thanks for letting me know what you guys use in Canada! I did buy the max care warranty from Mopar, I called in and they gave me 24 months with no interest so it's definitely true they give you a much better deal than the dealer (who wanted almost 1,000 more for it AND to roll it into my loan so it could accrue interest). I bought my DJ about 6 months ago though, and I guess my question was a bit more specific than that. I was wondering what body panels actually have the galvanized steel, (doors, side sills, quarter panels, etc.) or if it doesn't have it at all. I just wanted to know because if it does have it in some of the more important and rust-prone spots then I was going to wait until the corrosion warranty was up to get it sprayed, if not I would get it done sooner rather than later.