tire removal

kriles

My sister is stuck on the side of the road right now and has a flat. She jacked the journey up and took the lug nuts off but is unable to remove tire still. IS there a lock or something she is missing? This is the first flat she has gotten. Immediate response are greatly appreciated!

Hopefully by now she has the tire off. The rim has probably siezed onto the brake disc hat. Usually you hear of this on cars that have not had the tire off in a long time. Here are a couple things that can help. Hit the tire with a rubber hammer while the car is jacked up to try to break it loose. Be carefull incase the car rolls off the jack. The possibility is there, the car could be lifted at a slight angle. Every precaution should be taken. If that doesn't work this one is a little more aggressive. Put one or two of the lugnuts on and drive the vehicle about 5 foot or so to try to use the cars weight to break the rim loose.

Hopefully by now she has the tire off. The rim has probably siezed onto the brake disc hat. Usually you hear of this on cars that have not had the tire off in a long time. Here are a couple things that can help. Hit the tire with a rubber hammer while the car is jacked up to try to break it loose. Be carefull incase the car rolls off the jack. The possibility is there, the car could be lifted at a slight angle. Every precaution should be taken. If that doesn't work this one is a little more aggressive. Put one or two of the lugnuts on and drive the vehicle about 5 foot or so to try to use the cars weight to break the rim loose.

I hope she is all set by now.

Anyway, I've seen this with my Journey when I did my tire rotation. What I do is sit on the ground and use my feet (first one, then the other) to slightly kick the sides of the tire with the bottom of my foot. Usually one or two will do it. YOU MUST BE CAREFULY THAT THE CAR DOESN'T FALL OFF THE JACK. Doing this on the side of the road can be dicey as well. An alkternat method is to stand with your back to the car, Again gining the tire a quick kick (with the bottom of your foot).

Good luck!