8.4" U-Connect non Nav to 8.4" NAV upgrade

• 6 years later...
On 10/20/2016 at 8:36 AM, LisaLeeMcLeod said:

Hi All,

I upgraded my non navigation 8.4" U-Connect Radio to the one with the navigation.  My old radio was the RE2 media version.  I ordered the navigation media radio (RB5 - i think) from a wrecker in London Ontario for $250.00.  The wrecker shipped the part to my local used parts store and I picked it up from there.  I took the new radio with my purchase receipt to the local dealer parts desk and they provided to me the anti-theft code.

The swap took a total of 20-minutes - and then another 20-minutes to update the radio software which I downloaded from U-Connect web site.  All in all I am very happy with the swap and for me - I was lucky in that the only thing my existing radio did not have was navigation - so the swap didn't require a new screen or new antennas, etc....  If I can do it - anyone with a little bit of mechanical aptitude can do it themselves ;) .... Love the new radio with functioning navigation - so no need for my Magellan screen on top of my dash....  

Note:  I have a great RE2 non navigation media radio with the hard drive, etc.. if anyone needs it - contact me through the forum.

Did you have to replace the screen also?  I upgraded my whole radio from a 4.3 to 8.3 and was told it had navigation and it doesnt.  Can I just add the Nav radio and be good or do I have to change the 8.4 display again for the Nav radio?

Thanks 

On 6/10/2023 at 6:26 PM, dledge said:

Did you have to replace the screen also?  I upgraded my whole radio from a 4.3 to 8.3 and was told it had navigation and it doesnt.  Can I just add the Nav radio and be good or do I have to change the 8.4 display again for the Nav radio?

Thanks 

If you have a functioning 8.4" display it doesn't have to be changed to install the RB5 TGM.

Note that if you upgraded from the 4.2" display and did not have Siruius/XM radio and did not install the satellite antenna (which provides for both GPS and Sirius/XM) you will need to do so before the NAV will wor, 

On 6/16/2023 at 9:00 AM, bramfrank said:

If you have a functioning 8.4" display it doesn't have to be changed to install the RB5 TGM.

Note that if you upgraded from the 4.2" display and did not have Siruius/XM radio and did not install the satellite antenna (which provides for both GPS and Sirius/XM) you will need to do so before the NAV will wor, 

So I have a question... I have a 2012 Journey it had the smaller 4" display with Sirius XM on it.  I went on ebay and I purchased a 8.4" display, Auto Heater controller and the Radio(unit behind the heater controller).  It was listed on Ebay that it was a Navigation unit and showed the pictures of the Phone and Nav icon on the screen.  When I got it and installed it I dont have those on my screen (Phone & Nav icon).  I made sure the numbers matched on the listing to what I got and they do.  I have tried 3 "radios" so far and none have the nav icon. 

Am I missing something??  I dont have a back up camera or wheel controls for voice.  I saw something about needing the TGM module but also confused because some say thats the radoio... HELP!!!!!

On 6/22/2023 at 3:57 PM, dledge said:

So I have a question... I have a 2012 Journey it had the smaller 4" display with Sirius XM on it.  I went on ebay and I purchased a 8.4" display, Auto Heater controller and the Radio(unit behind the heater controller).  It was listed on Ebay that it was a Navigation unit and showed the pictures of the Phone and Nav icon on the screen.  When I got it and installed it I dont have those on my screen (Phone & Nav icon).  I made sure the numbers matched on the listing to what I got and they do.  I have tried 3 "radios" so far and none have the nav icon. 

Am I missing something??  I dont have a back up camera or wheel controls for voice.  I saw something about needing the TGM module but also confused because some say thats the radoio... HELP!!!!!

Let's start with the quick one;  The radio is contained within the TGM.  The TGM also handles the CD (DVD in the Nav radios), backup camera, heated seats and steering wheel, interface to the Blurtooth module as well as the air conditioning.

There are 2 basic versions of the TGM for the 8.4" display - one with Nav and one without.  There is nothing beyond the unlocked TGM (and the satellite antenna) to get the Nav version of the TGM to work - as I wrote, if you didn't have automatic air conditioning that feature won't work either.  No feature codes need be enabled to get the Navigation running (you DO need the feature codes enabled if you want to use a backup camera).

So, the only obvious answers as to why your unit is not displaying the navigation screen with any particular TGM are most likely that it either isn't a nav-equipped TGM, the Nav board inside might not be working (though I believe that the entire RB5 radio would lock up at the initialise screen if that was the case) or there is something strange in your wiring harness (which I doubt, because as far as I know all of the navigation functionality is contained within the TGM itself.

1 hour ago, bramfrank said:

Let's start with the quick one;  The radio is contained within the TGM.  The TGM also handles the CD (DVD in the Nav radios), backup camera, heated seats and steering wheel, interface to the Blurtooth module as well as the air conditioning.

There are 2 basic versions of the TGM for the 8.4" display - one with Nav and one without.  There is nothing beyond the unlocked TGM (and the satellite antenna) to get the Nav version of the TGM to work - as I wrote, if you didn't have automatic air conditioning that feature won't work either.  No feature codes need be enabled to get the Navigation running (you DO need the feature codes enabled if you want to use a backup camera).

So, the only obvious answers as to why your unit is not displaying the navigation screen with any particular TGM are most likely that it either isn't a nav-equipped TGM, the Nav board inside might not be working (though I believe that the entire RB5 radio would lock up at the initialise screen if that was the case) or there is something strange in your wiring harness (which I doubt, because as far as I know all of the navigation functionality is contained within the TGM itself.

So in the Ebay listing as shown below... It is a Nav. Radio and it shows in the pictures of the Nav and phone icon on the screen of the radio in the original vehicle.  So I'm not sure why im getting the exact same icons on my screen as my non nav radio.  Also I dont have 2 of the harnesses that are on the original vehicle... a black usb style plug that goes to the UBS module behind the cluster... and also a harness that plugs next to the main radio harness and a smaller harness that plugs kiddy corner to it.  I circled the 2 harnesses I dont have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334774204170

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by dledge