REB Radio Drop (video depiction)

Greetings,

So I have had the following issue with my 2012 Crew AWD.  So since the day we received the car the radio has done one of the following. When listening to FM Radio, CD, MP3 player or Bluetooth you can hear that the output to the speakers stops for about a second. Some days not at all, some days almost every minute. 

At other times the REB radio will freeze all-together. So bad that you have to stop the car, put it in park, turn off the motor, open the door then turn the car back on to get the radio to work. A video of the issue can be found below:

I have been told that there is a mysterious update disk by my German dealership, but that they can not obtain the disk to flash the radio due to warranty reasons between European Union and US.  Other possibilities is an issue between the head unit and the AMP.  Not sure what the issue is.  Maybe someone here has had similar experience.

Try disconnecting the negative terminal on your battery for at least 30 minutes for radio issues.  This is like a reboot on a computer.  You will not lose you radio presets.  The external amp is under the passenger front seat.  Make sure all of the the connectors are tightly seated.

The 'reboot' procedure often resolves problems and, aside from having to reset your clock, has no side effects.

The 'micro dropout' issue was resolved with a 2011 update.  So it is not likely to be your issue.  Check with the uConnect web site to see if there are any downloadable updates available for your radio by entering your VIN:

https://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/

On 8/26/2016 at 1:12 PM, bramfrank said:

The 'reboot' procedure often resolves problems and, aside from having to reset your clock, has no side effects.

The 'micro dropout' issue was resolved with a 2011 update.  So it is not likely to be your issue.  Check with the uConnect web site to see if there are any downloadable updates available for your radio by entering your VIN:

https://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/

So I checked the website. Nonewer update was listed. Not sure how to compare what is on the radio vs. what unconnect says it's the most current. I found all the information in the Dealership screen but I don't know what 'should' be there. 

On 8/26/2016 at 5:40 AM, nmsuman said:

When listening to FM Radio, CD, MP3 player or Bluetooth you can hear that the output to the speakers stops for about a second. Some days not at all, some days almost every minute. 

At other times the REB radio will freeze all-together. So bad that you have to stop the car, put it in park, turn off the motor, open the door then turn the car back on to get the radio to work. A video of the issue can be found below:

2012 SXT has the exact same problems, will try to disconnect the negative cable and see what that does as a long term solution. DJ is due for oil change and power steering recall so might need to add this to the list.

So as of this weekend, I scheduled an appointment with my Local Dodge dealership for the mounting of Winter Wheels per local law, Oil change, and verification that said brakes are out again.

So while we are on the issue above with the radio.  Another issue I have with this radio is the time it takes to pickup the Bluetooth connection?  How long is taking for your phone to make connection with the radio for Bluetooth Audio? I will ask this question in the appropriate thread as well, just wanted to get a gauge on other users experiences.

So... over the last 2-3 days I have finally started to get responses from MOPAR.  I would have say that at this time, the level of interest and support is worse than I have recently experienced with LOGITECH. 

So here is there response to my initial inquiry about parts to swap the REB with RE2:

"Dear nmsuman,

Thank you for your recent inquiry to Mopar.com.
        Hello and how are you Today?
        At this time Nothing is available for radio upgrades on Journeys.
        There are no part numbers available to swap.
        We are in service to those who drive us.
        Thanks again for contacting Mopar.com

Sincerely, "

So to say the least I was unhappy and provided a response:

"So I believe one of two things. That either this is a canned response or
        a lack of understanding the intent of my question.
        So the intent was determine which specific part numbers I would need to
        personally or through myv dealer to swap out the REB radio and screen
        with the radio and screen of the RE2 system. This is to get this vehicle
        to the standard at which it was ordered in 20 but not delivered in
        January 2012 due to parts shortage. Those two items being the RE2 radio
        and available backup camera.
        Please let me know if we can redirect this question appropriately to
        reach a more appropriate solution.

v/r "

So I get another response as such:

"Dear nmsuman,

Thank you for your recent inquiry to Mopar.com.
     Hello and how are you Today?
     At this time Nothing is available for radio upgrades on Journeys.

Sincerely, "

I am getting the feeling that this isn't going to go well in the customers favor. We'll see how the do to my most recent response below:

"Greetings,

Then why on the international website for MOPAR can I find the following item?

http://www.moparinternational.com/accessory-catalog/part/82213304/

I would like to confirm what is truly contained within this package. I ask because this 'appears' to be a full on package containing the cosmetic dash shroud, 8.4"

screen, and applicable radio unit.

I understand that is is identified as sold in only specific regions and countries. However I have to believe that a "similar" part number exists in the United states parts

listings that provides the same parts so that I can make the appropriate upgrade.

I would sincerely request elevation of this issue to a higher tier of customer support within Chrysler/MOPAR to find a solution. 

I am really hoping that I can do so as I am trying to rectify the poor performance of the REB radio in my vehicle at this time that has not been able to be rectified by my  

dealers in the 4.5 years of ownership.  A video of that issue can be found at the link below.

(Edit: Same link provided as the top of this thread)

Very Respectfully,"

An interesting kit.  But Chrysler lists it as discontinued, though perhaps you can find some leftover inventory around.

In any case there are some real issues with that document as you noted, not the least of which is that there is no tab for North American vehicles and the fact that the RE2 isn't sold anywhere BUT North America because of Sirius service availability.

Then there's reference to a six disc changer in the description and to Bluetooth.  The former is simply incorrect and the latter is not a component of the TGM and not practical to install into a vehicle that doesn't have it from the factory.  AND there is no section for changing out the antenna and it's related cabling for an installation which doesn't have those present up front.  Further the kit is incomplete because the lower stack also requires replacement and it isn't included with the kit. 

On the other hand, given the date coding for the package, it seems likely that this was drawn up during or shortly after the shortage and presumably not widely applied or known.  And why would it be?  How many people are likely to want to pony up the $1100 the kit sold for in order to get the larger screen that delivers limited additional functionality?  If you want it why not simply try to order it online or from your dealer since Customer Support isn't going to sell it to you in any case?

To be fair and with all respect to your disdain for Logitech, there is a LOT more going on with vehicles than there are with web cams, remote controls and speakers from a Chinese manufacturer - lots more to know and lots more technologies to deal with - you are unhappy that the CSR was unaware of a kit that is not a current product, was obscure at best and seemingly not applicable to any market..

Those responses you have been getting are indeed partially canned.  That's because in any significant organisation the support staff work from scripts to prevent them from making gaffes.  Without knowing how you phrased your request and without access to the FCA databases it is impossible to know what information the agent had available and the fact that the kit is discontinued, it is a very safe bet that nothing came up for him (or her) when they queried the systems, resulting in 'standard response X'.

In any case, what's the big deal?  If you want to buy a conversion this document simply appears to add to your available options.

• 3 weeks later...

Understood that the company is working from known knowledge available at hand. However, as I have learned through other Customer Service inquiries with other companies outside of just Dodge and Logitech that more can and has been done to begin linking the customer with persons/offices of people who can and are willing to assist the customer find the appropriate parts listings available for vehicles.

Having worked closely with repair techs at a Dodge Dealership back in the 2003-2004 time frame taught me that these types of parts swaps do occur. I worked there as a Lot Attendant at the time. Case in point when in 2005 I upgraded the front bumper and grill to my '04 Ram 1500 to the front bumper, fascia, and grill from the SRT10 that just entered sale. 

So I know that if you find the assemblies that parts can be sourced, and that those items not congruent can be rectified. In all there aren't more than 5 pieces needed to make this upgrade. However being overseas, makes the process more restrictive than just walking up to my local parts counter and inquire that easily.  Getting a tech to look longer than 5 minutes to verify the parts are applicable based on experiences and technical capabilities of the parts with someone on the phone overseas they don't know is less likely. 

Long end of it, I just want the vehicle I initially ordered back in 2011. Other than breaks issues and the missing parts, the car is great. No need to resale or trade.