Towing with a 2015 Dodge Journey Crossroad

I outfitted my towing ready Crossroad with a Reese hitch with a 2" ball, rated for 4,000 lbs.  The SUV has a transmission cooler and as I had the package that would show you oil pressure, oil temperature, water temp, and transmission temp, I was concerned that my towing an 1,800 lb. hard body trailer would be too much for it.  Although the MPG was horrible 11 to 13 MPG, that has to be balanced against the mountains and high winds you encounter going cross country, via RT 90 to Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and Glacier National park.  We drove 6,600 miles and I was impressed that the 283 HP six cylinder could handle it.  I do not have any more concerns with handling towing.  A topic for this might exist but I didn't fell like going through 39 pages looking for one.  If you have any questions about our trip and the way the Journey handled please write back.

Edited by Joe V
spelling

The DJ is only rated to tow 2,500 pounds, and this capacity decreases as you add people and cargo.  It's in the manual.  Also, the sq ft frontal area of the trailer has a limit.  The tow package only adds a small harness with relays and an engine oil cooler.

Edited by dhh3

I was well aware of the limitations and it was taken in to account.  it came equipped with a transmission cooler and the trailer I towed was only 11 feet long and around 1,800 lbs unloaded.  We didn't put more than 100 lbs in it and it was only two people.  I went over steep grades, granted only doing 40 to 45 MPH and over a 10,000 foot climb over the Big Horn mountains but it responded very well.  I constantly monitored all of the temperatures and they were all where they should be.  I was quite concerned with the transmission temperature but that also proved to be no issue.  There do not appear to be any issues with the way the vehicle fared over this trip and is running perfectly now. If it handled that trip then trips to closer states in the east should be no problem.  Thanks for your input and if I had posted prior to my trip and read your comments I might have had third thoughts as I already had my own second thoughts. 

The Trailer Tow Group for the DJ is the most Mickey Mouse outfit that I have ever seen.  Mine came with the harness that runs to the back of the car and also came with the oil cooler.  I found the small harness with all the relays on eBay.  BINGO.  I now have the Trailer Tow Group.  It was not listed on my window sticker.  I had my Dealer install the Mopar Hitch, added the Sales Code and energized the harness.  I can tow!