Rims Wheels for inter

vtraudt

As I do for all our cars, I will get winter tires on their own rims (to a) protect the nice 19" factory ones from salt, damage, etc and B) get narrower/taller rubber for better traction and c) get into less expansive 16" or 17" sizes and d) be able to switch in 20 minutes at any time and e) have 100% more traction compare to 'no good in summer or winter' "all season" tires.

But I have tried already last fall to find rims, and it does not look better this year. So here is the question:

Who has found 16" or 17" wheels for the Journey and where and at what price?

Any comments on suggested winter tires are appreciated, too.

I bought 16" MKW wheels for the winter at a car tuning shop. Someone had ordered them for his Grand Cherokee, but he changed his mind, so I had a good price for them and amazingly, they were fitting perfectly on the Journey. I'm not sure, but I think the wheels of the 2008+ Grand Caravan will fit. Otherwise, you can buy OEM 16" rims from the Journey SE.

For the tires, we have a lot of snow and ice here, in Canada during winter, so i bought Nokian Hakkapellitta 5 (studded) and they are amazing.

I did the same thing last winter. Had a hell of a time finding rims (this was Oct/Nov, there are more available now I'm sure). Ended up getting a set of 17's from the dealer and put Blizzaks on them. We're very rural and have to drive a lot on unplowed and unpaved roads, I was more than impressed with the handling between the AWD and the tires.

I bought 16" MKW wheels for the winter at a car tuning shop. Someone had ordered them for his Grand Cherokee, but he changed his mind, so I had a good price for them and amazingly, they were fitting perfectly on the Journey. I'm not sure, but I think the wheels of the 2008+ Grand Caravan will fit. Otherwise, you can buy OEM 16" rims from the Journey SE.

For the tires, we have a lot of snow and ice here, in Canada during winter, so i bought Nokian Hakkapellitta 5 (studded) and they are amazing.

I am surprised that the Grand Cherokee wheels fit (last year I tried after market rims that should fit (by the numbers i.e. offset, bolt pattern, etc) but the brake calipers where in the way.

What year Grand Cherokee where they from?

Volker

I bought the 16 factory steel rims with 215/75 winterforce snows speedo is right on but I did not get the tire sensors so my pressure light is on for the winter-could not justify sensor cost

Factory steel rims? Is the Journey SE (the base model) coming with STEEL rims? Do you know how much you paid for the rims?

Volker

I am surprised that the Grand Cherokee wheels fit (last year I tried after market rims that should fit (by the numbers i.e. offset, bolt pattern, etc) but the brake calipers where in the way.

What year Grand Cherokee where they from?

Volker

It is not factory wheels, it is after market. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was for the actual genaration of Grand Cherokee. When I look on Tirerack website, a lot of wheels can fit the Grand Cherokee and the Journey. Not all the wheels can fit on both, but most of them.

• 4 weeks later...

Ya but did you downsize from the 19's and did the 16's fit over the brake calipers? For those that dropped tire size from a 19 inch to 17's, did you have trouble finding steel wheels, where did you find them, did they clear the rotors and brake calipers with any trouble. this was a common question from after market places that sold steel wheels. They wouldn't put one on to see if it clears unless I bought a steel rim first. Responses asap would sure be appreciated. Thanks

Got it taken care of. Got a great deal from the dealer on the tires. Went with the 16's and they fit. Glad that headache is over.

I have the SXT with AWD and 19's and am looking for winter rims/tires. Not sure if I want to go all the way down to the 16's. Love to know how you find your Journey handles with the 16's vs the 19's. Do you find that there is a noticable difference in handling (more "play" in the steering)?

I have the SXT with AWD and 19's and am looking for winter rims/tires. Not sure if I want to go all the way down to the 16's. Love to know how you find your Journey handles with the 16's vs the 19's. Do you find that there is a noticable difference in handling (more "play" in the steering)?

You will probably feel a softer ride and not so tight in turns. But you shouldn't be turning hard with winter tires anyway.

• 1 month later...

I have a brand new set of 16" factory wheels (w/ hub caps) and tires off of a 2010 Journey SE with less than 50 miles on them. I am in the process of upgrading to some 18 or 19 chrome wheels and would like to sell these. If anyone is interested in these please make me an offer.

From any Mopar dealer, the SE 16 steel wheels without hubcaps run approx $110. I found one dealer that wanted $98, but most others are ~$110. I have been looking for wheels also for a while and 4 days ago I ordered 4 black steels. I wish I would have seen the 2 people selling the 19s and 16s on here. :) Anyway, I was lucky enough to find 2 online in a junkyard at ~$60, but only 2 so I had him order me 2 new ones at $110 each. Just go see your local dealer and they can help. Only problem for me, is there is no local dealer here, or for a long, long way away.

• 2 weeks later...
...I think the wheels of the 2008+ Grand Caravan will fit. ...

Yes, they will. In fact, the 25th Anniversary Dodge Grand Caravan used the 17" Journey wheel. I just bought a used set of the machined face 17" Journey wheels, and have them on our 2008 Dodge minivan with a set of Blizzaks. Same 17x6.5" 40mm offset. The brakes are the same on the Journey and '08+ minivans.

I just purchased 4 steel wheel from Tire Rack for 57$ each + freight. Note the called to say the TPMS sensors would not work with the aftermarket wheel. The good news is the Jeep Wrangler TPMS did work.

This was after I purchased 5 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited steel wheels, center caps and tires with sensors for 325$ off of Craigslist. The bad news is the rims interfered with the calipers both front and back.

The good news is the TPMS and tires worked out great.

Take it easy!

DWB

I just purchased 4 steel wheel from Tire Rack for 57$ each + freight.

Let me know how they fit. I saw somewhere someone said they didn't seem to fit just right. Got a friend in Michigan who wanted to buy a set of my OE wheels, but it costs to much to ship them so he wants the tirerack ones if they fight right.

Thanks,

Clark

Let me know how they fit. I saw somewhere someone said they didn't seem to fit just right. Got a friend in Michigan who wanted to buy a set of my OE wheels, but it costs to much to ship them so he wants the tirerack ones if they fight right.

Thanks,

Clark

They fit great!

I will post some pics soon.

No fitment issues at all.

Note the Jeep Wrangler TPMS sensor that worked in the aftermarket rims where part number

56053036AA

When Tirerack had the steel wheels back ordered they had a note saying they would not work with the factory TPMS sensors.

Once they were in stock it said they would work or you could buy sensors from them.

The day after I placed my ordered they called to say the factory TPMS sensors would not work but they had "modified" sensors that would work for 205$ for 4. I rolled the dice and got lucky.

Happy Holidays!

DWB

post-1248-1261602945_thumb.jpg

post-1248-1261602958_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Thanks,

Clark

I'm in Michigan and I have my SE steel rims with hubcaps I will sell for cheap. I perfer someone pick them up because I really don't want to ship them. To much trouble and the shipping price is crazy.