Another intermittent No Start

My 2010 SXT Diesel Turbo with manual transmission is again experiencing irregular no-start.  Key goes in ignition but entire car appears dead. R03 recall was completed last year and this did seem to improve things - problem went away for a while.  Then I had a battery issue so fitted a new battery.  Since then, this problem has returned.

So, in reading through various posts, I've identified several possible causes:-

1. WIN module - this was replaced last year so unlikely to be cause

2. Starter solenoid relay / starter

3. Ground wire to starter.

So, I'll start with checking no 3 and if that seems ok, I guess then no 2.

According to the manual, the correct start procedure is to:

a. Turn ignition to ON

b. Allow the "Wait to Start" indicator to go out

c. Place the shift lever in Neutral

d. Depress the clutch

e. Do not press accelerator pedal

f. turn key to Start 

This implies that there is a sensor to detect shift position & another one to check clutch is depressed.  Has anyone experienced problems with these ? 

Is there anything else I can check on ? I'm wary of taking to the dealer as they tend to replace parts first and ask questions later, all at the customer's expense!

TIA!

In reply to my own topic, problem is now solved.  I worked it out as the car failed to start whilst I was out at a store. I managed to get it going after getting a push and trying to engage drive & starter - this must have freed it up as it then started OK on the key.

I drove it straight home and set about replacing the starter. Of course, I did check the ground wire and relay just to make sure, but after replacing the starter, all is good. Net cost for the started was about €280 incl' sales taxes.

One thing to note is that there are 2 red wires that attach to the main terminal on the solenoid (most have just one, apparently). I read somewhere that one may go off to the alternator, though I didn't check this out (not important). Access is quite good from underneath the vehicle, especially if raised off the ground, LOL ! :yup: