Ok.. i've searched and searched and searched.. so far all i can find is that the subwoofer is apparently a DVC sub. Has anyone upgraded the subwoofer? Do you know what impedance the subwoofer is? All i can find is people claiming to have upgraded to a 10" subwoofer, but no pics or proof.. i don't want to tear the subwoofer out until i have a new one to install, and i don't want to order a new one till i know what i need. Thank you in advance...

yeah the R/T has the sub.. i'm curious if i can find someone that actually upgraded their sub.. i ordered the Kicker upgrades for front and rear speakers but i want to upgrade the sub as well.. I can't find any info on the sub.. i have found that in other vehicles the subwoofer amplifier is 100Watts at 1Ohm, but thats a ram and apparently a kicker setup initially...

386 not enough? Lol a good single 6x9 pushes more than that lol I'm really missing my 15" type R pushing 2000 watts lol. I want at least 1200 watts for a sub and 600 watts for the doors.

Then i hope you enjoy your studio-car!

I think you need an AMP, no?

No. Kicker makes a sub in a ported box, similar to a Bose Radio, with an integral amp. No monster wires to the battery required. Fits perfect under my power front seat. It is actually made for single cab pickups. I have done extensive modifications to my POS stock system and have a couple of threads on it. Search!

I could meter the sub. But I really don't want to disassemble the back of the car until I have the replacement woofer. That's why I was hoping someone would have some info on it. No luck Apparently the people that "upgraded" their subwoofers were talking out of there arses lol. There were several people I read modified stock box for a 10". But can't get any confirmation. Ugghhh

as no one actually done anything with the factory subwoofer or enclosure? I'm on the fence of a 600x5 Kicker amplifier and change out the 8"woofer to a better 8" Kicker to use the 300Watts RMS of the sub channel of the kicker amp. i would think that would help... Would bypass the crappy crossover points of the OEM amplifier... i guess i had hoped some of the crap talkers on here would actually come out and show their goods.. i'd like to try the 10" in the enclosure, but i don't want to destroy it if its not possible....

Edited by jkeaton
Language

I've read your threads and am not talking about your posts. I'm sure it does sound tons better especially since you have an aftermarket amp bypassing the crappy alpine amps cross over points LOL.

I'm talking about the 3 or 4 people that have said they modified the oem sub enclosure for 10" subs. I've read posts that they did it with success but once asked for pics they become ghosts. That's all. If you want to read that I have a "low opinion of forum members". That's fine too. But I was pretty clear what my question was. I use my journey for business and am unable to sacrifice any cargo area or 3rd row. I'd prefer the sub be in the oem location, but underwear is certainly on my list of possibilities. I'm not looking for rattle the crap off the wall loud. I'm looking for more of an audiophile sound. Which is one reason the seat under the sub is on the back burner. Without ever hearing a sub under my butt. Just not sure how it would present itself in the sound stage.

Edited by jkeaton

My factory radio sounds pretty good. It sounds like there is a sub. Where is the sub located in the car if there was one. I have a 2016

Crossroads.

Back right side in the cargo area. If you have a sub, you also have an amp under the passenger seat.

It's nothing to do with sound stage with a sub as it's the vibration that locates a sub not your ears.

This is partially true. The objective of a good subwoofer is to just hear/feel it and you to not be able to locate were the sound is coming from.. It should leave the impression it's coming from in front of you. Not under your but. BUT AGAIN I've never tried a sub upset the seat and would LOVE to hear dhh3 system. Would feel way better about making the changes haha. The kicker "upgrade" is rough in my honest opinion.

The audio that comes from a sub is omnidirectional, in that you hear it but it does not come from any one location/source. So, the bass does not appear to come from under my seat. My underseat Kicker comes with a remote gain, so I can turn it up and vibrate the mirrors and my baggie jeans if I so desire! I keep it to a point where I hear/feel the punch, but I do not rattle the loose parts or vibrate the body panels of my car as some are prone to do; so everyone in the neighborhood can not hear me! This little box is amazing for what it puts out. Even the installer at Best Buy could not believe his ears; and I am sure that he has heard some way overpowered systems.

I, too, need my cargo space, and I do have the third row. I had the rear view camera installed as part of my "deal" when I purchased my car new not quite 2 years ago. The passenger side third row seat was out on the shop floor, the left rear interior panel was out, as well as both door sill panels, to run the cables for the camera. There did not appear to be enough room to mount a decent sized sub enclosure behind the panel, to be able to move enough air; to be able to "punch" out the low level sounds. I believe that the stock sub is 8" and do not believe that there would be room enough to modify the enclosure for a 10" sub. I could be wrong. The interior panels in my Nitro were a breeze to remove, but I have never made an attempt to remove the rear panels in my DJ. All I can suggest is to remove the panel (you may have to remove the seat first) and go from there. Even if you were able to install a 10" sub, the crossovers in the factory Alpine amp may not give you the power to drive it properly.

To be clear, I do not have the factory Alpine system. I have read both pros and cons on the forum concerning the sound of this system. I have never heard it, so I can not, in all fairness, make a statement as to how it sounds. As I started changing my system, step by step, the sound got incredibly better, and I am thoroughly happy with the outcome.

Edited by dhh3

Awesome man. I would love to hear your system lol. I think I may try an upgraded woofer in the factory enclosure with a kicker CX600.5. That will give the new kicker sub 300 watts RMS. If no good then sub under the seat. Lol

Kicker makes good stuf for sure. What speakers are you using in your doors?

Alpine 2-way 6x9s. I compared all the 6x9s on the Best Buy "wall", and the Alpines put out the most bass. I was surprised, because there was a set of Kickers on the wall also. I changed out my dash speakers for Alpine tweeters with built in crossovers. I'll meet you 1/2 way, somewhere in Ohio, for a meet & greet! LOL

Edited by dhh3

OK.. so i finally bit the bullet and have a Kicker 800.5 5 Channel Amplifier... 100x4 plus 400x1 RMS. The trouble is that this leads me to more questions and more problems... So... as far as i can tell with this alpine system, there is simply a Left and Right channel leaving the head unit going to the amplifier.. Volume, Bass, Mid, Treble, Fade and Balance is then all controlled through the Can Bus... There is an adapter for Premium sound systems(assuming that includes the alpine system) that gives you line level outputs from the can bus... Trouble is you lose bass, mid and treble controls. http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1120&CategoryID=28 I'd like to assume that i won't need the adjustments after setting up the amp and whatnot.... plus i'll have a subwoofer gain control so i like to think this will work. Will also be upgrading the 8" to a dual 4ohm Coil Kicker CompR 600 Watt RMS sub...

What i'm curious of is this.... Take a look at this piece here... https://www.ebay.com/itm/282026505770 It says it is for NON AMPLIFIED systems... My question is can you delete the sales code for the "premium" sound system and enable this device to work and maintain your bass/mid/treble controls? Probably a long shot, but with how these cars work with can bus it wouldn't surprise me. as an example.. my old chrysler 200 did NOT have the ability from the manufacture to get a rear view camera... I purchased a third party rear view camera and harness, installed it and then added a sales code for Backup cam and presto! There it is in my stock RHR radio... Rear view camera...

Would love for some thoughts, insights.... Dhh3 do you have the 8.4 Connect?