Backup camera recommendations

I've been reading all over these forums and thought I'd summarize my results as well as ask for recommendations/clarifications about adding an integrated backup camera to our DJ's (2011-2015 range). It seems that prices are higher than mentioned in other threads; maybe things are getting more expensive, or maybe I need to expand my searches... eBay is probably cheaper, but not as reliable (IMO).

Factory + Dealer Activated (8.4" screen only)

You need the OEM camera (like http://amzn.com/B00FSAIWY8) running around $300 these days or a camera that supports "differential video" (like this one, maybe? http://amzn.com/B00CS6SISU). Otherwise to use a regular backup camera using composite video (like most of them), you'll need an adapter like this http://amzn.com/B015IIY0IQ, which is something like $185, though I've heard people say you can find them on eBay for $40??

You will also need a dealer to activate this in your radio. No one on here (privately or otherwise) can give you a code for this. Most people say they were charged a half-hour of labor, something like $40-50. Don't pay more than that; find another dealer.

Upgrade screen (4.3" screen)

If you have the smaller screen, you can upgrade it to the 8.4" system and repeat the steps listed above, but this gets pricey quickly. You're better off just getting a LockPick (next step)

Aftermarket + LockPick (either 8.4" or 4.3")

Using a device like a LockPick C8 ($300) or LockPick Air v1 ($450) will allow you to take any RCA camera (many around $20, but I'd love to hear people's recommendations for/against any in practical DJ use) and connect it into your system. The lockpick gives several other advantages which seems (to me) like a clear winner, unless you can find a cheaper OEM or diff-video camera or adapter.

• Add support for front camera (auto-active < 8mph or manual) + A/V inputs
  • Add support for 2x side cameras, like on mirrors (on C8 these inputs replace front+A/V jacks; on Air it looks like you can have them all, but it lists 'max 4 cameras' though there are actually 6 inputs on the Air device; not sure what's up with that)
  • Can activate any camera while driving (questionable legality...)
  • Bypass speed-restricted settings (like GPS input if you have nav; DVD playback if you have 8.4" system; phone messaging options - that one's not listed, but I imagine it would be controlled by the same logic)
  • Mirror your phone to the screen (on the Air, wirelessly via DLNA for pre-iOS 9, Miracast for Android, or WIDI for Intel; on either system, you can connect an A/V input if your phone can output A/V. If your phone can output MHL, you can buy an adapter for $25)

Hooking it Up

If you can get your dealer to do this - lucky you! Be aware some dealers will not install non-Mopar parts or even Mopar parts not purchased through them (thanks dhh3).

Otherwise, you have a few options to do it yourself:

Official Route - dismantle half your car and run the wires. Johnson has lots of pics in this thread, and a few posts down is a link to a PDF explaining the process.

HawtDogFlvrWtr - Talk to HawtDogFlvrWtr for an exciting and slippery installation alternative previewed here

Wireless - http://amzn.com/B008Z9E4DW $20 - I have no idea how well this works, but for $20, I might just buy it to save myself the hours of work dismantling my car! There is a comment that it gets hot when active for too long, so I may have to choose how I wire up the receivers.

That's it for now! I'll update this if anyone sees anything grossly wrong or things change much. In the meantime, if anyone has a LockPick they want to sell me used, I'd love to take it off your hands!

Edited by digimuzik

When I purchased my DJ, I worked out a deal to have the Factory Camera installed. No hassles going this route.

Some Dealers will not install non-Mopar parts, or especially parts not purchased at the Dealership. Liability. You can thank all the no-loads for this as they sue for anything they can get. Personal liability has been tossed out the window.

Edited by dhh3

Prices for the kit have been going up. Apparently newer DJs don't need the full kit because they are prewired - supposedly mine was built after the 'prewired date' and the pins in the connector had wires attached, but I couldn't find the rear end of the cable if it was, so I did the job (myself) and it wasn't horrible. If your vehicle is wired ad you can find the connector, you can buy the rear bezel, complete with the camera, license plate lights, unlock switch and handle for less than $125.

Note that as far as I can tell, Lockpick no longer supports the 4.3 inch screen, though I've read that it does still work with it.

I had mine added by a dealer licensed and warrantied car audio place when they upgraded my UConnect system to a Pioneer NEX one. Not sure what they used but you cannot see the camera as its small and mounted above the license plate on the bottom of the trim. It's probably a Chinese $15 one. They're all about the same and have decent day/night vision. They did great work.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume that you have the 8.4 radio?

Supposedly, if the vehicle is prewired (and since the complete kit was for the 2011 model year I suppose that they prewired them all starting in 2012) you will find the connectors in the hatch . . . . you would remove the liner (requires a trim stick, among other tools) - you will find the instructions to do this in the old installation manual and note that there is a single bolt that needs to have the nut removed to get the bezel off.

You would disconnect the handle from the old bezel, unplug the lights and release button and then connect up the new bezel and re-install it.

Your dealer would then add the sales code and, if all goes well you will have a functional backup camera.

Having said that; supposedly my 2014 Crossroad should have been prewired, but if it was I couldn't find the connector, so I ran the wiring to the front of the vehicle.

The hatch disassembly procedure begins with step 40 in the manual below:

http://starparts.chrysler.com/info/default/K6861161.pdf

My 2014 also was not pre-wired. Dealer tech had to run the wires from back to front. He did find a "mysterious" harness hanging behind the radio box, but it was not for the camera.

Edited by dhh3

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reading all over these forums and thought I'd summarize my results as well as ask for recommendations/clarifications about adding an integrated backup camera to our DJ's (2011-2015 range). It seems that prices are higher than mentioned in other threads; maybe things are getting more expensive, or maybe I need to expand my searches... eBay is probably cheaper, but not as reliable (IMO).

Factory + Dealer Activated (8.4" screen only)

You need the OEM camera (like http://amzn.com/B00FSAIWY8) running around $300 these days or a camera that supports "differential video" (like this one, maybe? http://amzn.com/B00CS6SISU). Otherwise to use a regular backup camera using composite video (like most of them), you'll need an adapter like this http://amzn.com/B015IIY0IQ, which is something like $185, though I've heard people say you can find them on eBay for $40??

You will also need a dealer to activate this in your radio. No one on here (privately or otherwise) can give you a code for this. Most people say they were charged a half-hour of labor, something like $40-50. Don't pay more than that; find another dealer.

Upgrade screen (4.3" screen)

If you have the smaller screen, you can upgrade it to the 8.4" system and repeat the steps listed above, but this gets pricey quickly. You're better off just getting a LockPick (next step)

Aftermarket + LockPick (either 8.4" or 4.3")

Using a device like a LockPick C8 ($300) or LockPick Air v1 ($450) will allow you to take any RCA camera (many around $20, but I'd love to hear people's recommendations for/against any in practical DJ use) and connect it into your system. The lockpick gives several other advantages which seems (to me) like a clear winner, unless you can find a cheaper OEM or diff-video camera or adapter.

• Add support for front camera (auto-active < 8mph or manual) + A/V inputs
  • Add support for 2x side cameras, like on mirrors (on C8 these inputs replace front+A/V jacks; on Air it looks like you can have them all, but it lists 'max 4 cameras' though there are actually 6 inputs on the Air device; not sure what's up with that)
  • Can activate any camera while driving (questionable legality...)
  • Bypass speed-restricted settings (like GPS input if you have nav; DVD playback if you have 8.4" system; phone messaging options - that one's not listed, but I imagine it would be controlled by the same logic)
  • Mirror your phone to the screen (on the Air, wirelessly via DLNA for pre-iOS 9, Miracast for Android, or WIDI for Intel; on either system, you can connect an A/V input if your phone can output A/V. If your phone can output MHL, you can buy an adapter for $25)

Hooking it Up

If you can get your dealer to do this - lucky you! Be aware some dealers will not install non-Mopar parts or even Mopar parts not purchased through them (thanks dhh3).

Otherwise, you have a few options to do it yourself:

Official Route - dismantle half your car and run the wires. Johnson has lots of pics in this thread, and a few posts down is a link to a PDF explaining the process.

HawtDogFlvrWtr - Talk to HawtDogFlvrWtr for an exciting and slippery installation alternative previewed here

Wireless - http://amzn.com/B008Z9E4DW $20 - I have no idea how well this works, but for $20, I might just buy it to save myself the hours of work dismantling my car! There is a comment that it gets hot when active for too long, so I may have to choose how I wire up the receivers.

That's it for now! I'll update this if anyone sees anything grossly wrong or things change much. In the meantime, if anyone has a LockPick they want to sell me used, I'd love to take it off your hands!

now if you connect lets say a media player or a phone/tablet to the av inputs of the V1 air will it show up on my back factory over head screen so my wife can scroll though and select shows for my daughter to watch on long trips from the front seat or do i still need to hook up the media player in the center console armrest to view on the rear factory over head screen? and if it does, does that mean every time (lets say i have a side view mirror camera installed) i put on the blinker will it cut the media player feed and show the camera on the back screen? ive tried emailing coastal but haven't had a reply back in a few weeks now wondered if anyone here have tried this??