(Almost) One Year

bfurth

So I don't actually hit the end of my first year until Tuesday, but I figure it's close enough. 6,200 miles in (I have a 35 mile weekly round trip commute, and we use our T&C for vacation driving, so I don't go very far with this vehicle very often), and I haven't had to do anything with my Journey since day 1 (discounting the two times I got hit in the first month I owned it).

In August (1 year from build date), I changed the oil for the first time (about 3,500 miles on the clock). I used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20 with a Purolator One filter (registered for their 15 year engine warranty). Pennzoil sent me a rebate check for the cost of the oil! I rotated the tires, checked the condition of filters, etc. Everything was good and clean. Net cost for my first year of maintenance? $8.

It drives wonderfully (2.4L engine is underappreciated - it's not going to win any races, but it will get you where you're going). Fuel economy is better than stated - I just went 4 weeks between filling the tank, and I probably could have squeezed a fifth out of it if I wanted. 27 mpg highway? This gets better than that (according to the computer). 27 would be if you include hills. I've filled the tank and driven a hundred miles and watched the fuel gauge not even twitch. My normal driving gets about 21-22 mpg. For a nearly 4,000 pound vehicle with a 4 cylinder engine, and enough space to carry the entire family, I can't complain.

I only have an SE, so it's not the most heavily loaded Journey out there. That being said, the UConnect 4.3 is an impressive stock radio (and I have the 4.3s, not that I use the satellite anyway). I LOVE the auto-dimming mirror. I just wish it was able to be positioned higher on the windshield. The premium seating group (fold-flat front seat with storage bin) is a must for this vehicle - it opens up additional cargo options that otherwise wouldn't exist.

The only options I wish I had but don't are fog lights and auto headlights. And maybe a sunroof. Oh well - such is life on a budget.

Now if only it would stop snowing here (seemingly) every week - I want to get back out and clean it!!!

Edited by bfurth