Oem/ aftermarket, remote start for my Fiat Freemont

Hi guys I have a simple question, I am about to collect my 2014 Fiat Freemont awd V6, tomorrow from the dealer, as I am living in Sweden a remote start option would be nice to have, especially in these winter times,

Now I know that this option does not exist on the fiat.

Do you know guys if it is possible to add a aftermarket remote start to the car, or even maybe buy oem parts from let's say ebay, will this option work on a fiat?

Regards

Adrian

Aftermarket can be added for certain - you'll need an experienced installation shop to make that work.

But for the OEM, as I wrote in the welcome thread you'll need to check with the dealer because to make the components work in the vehicle they need to add the sales code for the alarm and it could conceivably not be available to them - we see this with some features even here in North America.

Aftermarket can be added for certain - you'll need an experienced installation shop to make that work.

But for the OEM, as I wrote in the welcome thread you'll need to check with the dealer because to make the components work in the vehicle they need to add the sales code for the alarm and it could conceivably not be available to them - we see this with some features even here in North America.

Could you explain what a sales code is? Is is the soo called flashing of the remote?

The way these vehicles work is that the various options are individually enabled in the BCM (Body Control Module) and the various devices, such as the radio, check the BCM on startup to see what they are allowed to do - such things as daylight running lights, backup camera, power inverter and the remote starter, for example require that the factory or the dealer enable these options by installing what are known as 'sales codes' into the BCM. So even if you bought the factory remote starter kit ( you can get it on eBay in the US for about US$270 and it includes two new key FOBs, because fobs can only be programmed once) and if you installed the special receiver and other bits in the vehicle, the dealer would still need to mate the new FOBs to the BCM and add the sales code for the remote start.

The same would apply is you have the 8.4 inch display radio and wanted to add the factory backup camera if you don't already have it.

So before investing in such things as a FACTORY remote start kit you should verify with the dealer that they can (and that they are willing to) add the relevant sales code to the vehicle's configuration.

It SHOULD work and they SHOULD be able to, but who knows what Fiat may have done or allows the dealers to do.

Can you not have said things included in your deal?

as this is a "used" car the sales person couldint do anything, actually he didn't know that there was a option like that,

Now I talk to guy from another fiat service place, and he explained about the sales code, the difference here in Europe, is that the only way to upgrade, change the sales code is via Italy at the fiat headquarters, and not like in USA where every fiat dealership/service place can change it, really annoying if you ask me, but he said that if I bring him the Oem part he will do everything he can to make it work,

He also said if you bring me a Dodge Journey imported from USA I could fix it in a Mather of hours, but the euro version is a bit trickier,

Regards

Sorry I missed the part where you were getting a used car lol. Still here in canada is I dropping some cash on a used car and they wanted the sale they would accommodate me I'm sure of it.

the Ohly thing i got was a discount and a couple of rubber "mats' for the car. But as the sales person was away today I am going to try to get a even bigger discount tomorrow,

Regards/Adrian

Depending on hoe bad they want to make the Sale, you can ask for anything in the US. I have done this many times when purchasing a new or used vehicle. With my DJ, I wanted a back up camera. I bought the camera: Dealer installed it for free.

• 4 weeks later...

I was about to install a aftermarket kit that I got cheap from a auction on ebay, but a day before I was about to leave my car at the service place. I stumbled up on a webpage with specific laws here in Sweden regarding remote start, and apperantly it is forbidden to add such a device on a car, only exception is if you import a car, let's say a Dodge Journey from the USA and it is equipped with such a device

Bummer! I was soo close solving my problem :(

But good that I noticed it in time I could apparently got fined if I got caught with it.

My only other two options now are to add a webasto petrol "Warmer" witch cost about 25000kr or directly translated to about 3000 US dollars

Or a electric setup ( then you need a plug in place, witch is not that common, not available everywhere here in Sweden yet) about 600 dollars.

Regards