62TE transmission.....

Mr.Burns

I'm going to start with Dodge was great. But I just had the transmission replaced on my 2014 Dodge Journey R/T @ 56,000km. I do no towing but lots of highway driving in the mountains of the west and the car does great.

I was in town driving and the car started to surge at stop lights, then in the middle of the intersection no transmission engagement. Still no check engine light so I managed to nurse it out of the intersection and off to the side of the road. Check engine light then lights up.

So I called the dodge 1-800 and had a flatbed there within 30 mins. Yay dodge and they towed me to the dealer that I wanted to go to.

Dealer diagnosed with lots of codes, low pressure, metal fragments in pan. They figured it exceeded the 70% damage to rebuild. They ordered a new transmission, gave me a rental car for 5 days but it took 10 days for them to repair it...

So now it's an R/T with the towing package (engine oil cooler?) but no transmission cooler? How hot should the transmission run? And thoughts about adding a transmission cooler?

Thanks

The service tech said that I don't have anything to worry about unless it goes over 105C for extended periods. That sounds high to me?

I have been watching my trans temps in the EVIC and under load such as going up a hill it will climb to 95C. I was looking at holding on to the DJ for my kids to learn to drive on so I want to keep it in good condition. At what temperatures do we start to see damage to the transmission occurring?

• Official Dodge Support

I'm going to start with Dodge was great. But I just had the transmission replaced on my 2014 Dodge Journey R/T @ 56,000km. I do no towing but lots of highway driving in the mountains of the west and the car does great.

I was in town driving and the car started to surge at stop lights, then in the middle of the intersection no transmission engagement. Still no check engine light so I managed to nurse it out of the intersection and off to the side of the road. Check engine light then lights up.

So I called the dodge 1-800 and had a flatbed there within 30 mins. Yay dodge and they towed me to the dealer that I wanted to go to.

Dealer diagnosed with lots of codes, low pressure, metal fragments in pan. They figured it exceeded the 70% damage to rebuild. They ordered a new transmission, gave me a rental car for 5 days but it took 10 days for them to repair it...

So now it's an R/T with the towing package (engine oil cooler?) but no transmission cooler? How hot should the transmission run? And thoughts about adding a transmission cooler?

Thanks

Mr. Burns,

Happy to hear your dealer got things sorted out with the transmission.

Do you suspect something is overheating now?

Would just like to know what the high end of normal is so that I can watch the temperature and continue to drive within the normal temperature range.

With the mountain highways I drive and recent hot temperatures in the west the EVIC has read up to 100C for the transmission. That's going up hill with me in only in the JC! And RPMs most of the time about 1750. The engine temperature remains well within normal.

I just don't want to do any damage.

• 2 months later...

I've recently seen 2 more post reporting very similar situations, with different years and trim levels. But it makes me wonder if the cooling of the transmission is enough for any load on it, such as big mountain passes or towing within its recommend weight.