2009 Dodge Journey Engine Light and no power going up steep hills

we have a 2009 Dodge Journey. The engine light has com on and there is no power going up steep hills in Utah. My wife took to dealersip and they told her she needed to replace the Intake Manifold because it was causing the transmission to overheat and is breaking down the transmission fluid. The notes say the codes show a bad Intake Manifold Runner Valve. They refused to give us the codes because we decided not to have them work on it.

Two questions

1. Is the intake manifold causing the transmission to overheat because of this part?

2. Would we need to replace the intake manifold to fix this problem?

Had the same issue with our 09. Just get the intake runner valve repaired. Everything else is being caused by that. Sometimes it is just the actuator (as was the case with ours), other times the intake does need to be replaced. This will cause you to lose power everywhere as the valve fluctuates to allow more or less air into the manifold depending on engine load conditions.

Not too sure about the transmission overheating unless it's because the engine is straining so much to get the vehicle moving. But, yes. I would get the specific code before just replacing the entire manifold because, as stated, it could be just the actuator.

Edited by jkeaton

I was going to say - how would an intake problem cause a transmission problem?

Did you pay the dealership a diagnostic fee (regardless of whether or not you agreed to have the work done by them)? If so, demand that they provide the diagnostic information. You paid for the diagnosis, you should be able to work with the same information they have.

My '10 Town and Country is able to display fault codes by manipulating the ignition switch (on/off/on/off/on - alternatively on/acc/on/acc/on - WITHOUT starting the engine). Try that on your DJ and see if it displays fault codes (it will show up in the odometer if it works).