3.5L vs 3.6L driving impressions

jimmyk

Thank you, Guys. My '09 3.5 got 28 on the highway, which I thought was pretty good.

The timing belt vs chain issue is another reason (not driving impression) I was asking/leaning toward the 3.6. Belt replacement is almost the same as the price difference between similar 2010's and 2011's.

If you're looking at a 2011, check for an open recall regarding the cylinder head. The 3.5 is an underbored version of the 4.0 that was available on other similar vehicles of the same vintage. Compared to HP, fuel economy, and overall cost of ownership, the 3.6 is better in just about every way imaginable.

Has anyone had the 3.5L timing belt actually fail? If so what mileage?

Seems like most of the 3.5L vehicles are for sale well over 100K and past the 105K belt replacement recommendation. And would think that the Carfax or Autochek would show this as service when they show simple maint like oil changes.

Belt interval is 7 years OR 104,000 miles. Time is also a factor. We have seen 300Ms snap belts at 40,000 miles because they were well past the 7 year mark.

FYI 3.5 runs on regular gas. The only 3.5L car that requires 89 is the 300M Special and Intrepid R/T, and both of those generally run well on regular. The engine in the Journey is not fundamentally different from the one designed in 1992 other than the switch to being an interference engine in 1998, and the switch to iron heads in 1998. AC compressor and alternator changed locations as well in late 2004, and plenum designed changed.

That said, the 3.5L is a dog in the LX and JC platform, due to the added weight. Works well for the LH and JS, however those are around 3600-3800lb curb weight. I would look for a 2012+ 3.6L instead (2011 is a transition year).

My 3.5 sounded sweet when revved out. Lots better than the Buick 3800, our other car. But the 3800 has lots more low end. Haven't had either above 90mph, no room to "run" around here.