Engine Shudder

sdeveau

We have a 2010 Journey SXT. Over the past few months when accelerating up hill between 50-70km/h the engine shutters, loose acceleration and the engine lights blinks. When you push down on the accelerator there is no power and the engine shutters. It is as if the accelerator is not engaging. Had it to the dealership twice. They said they could not find anything recorded. This time when it happened the light stayed on. Have an appointment to get it checked. Have only had the vehicle for 14months. Have owned 3 other Dodge vehicles and don't feel warm and fuzzy when mechanics rely on computers.

I just recently got a 2011 Dodge Journey. While I love it, I found some weird things recently. The shudder I only notice when Im going in reverse and the tranny is cold. But everything else has been ok. The new pentastar V6 and the new dual clutch 6 speed auto it pretty good. Too bad all you 09 and 10 owners got stuck with a crappy powertrain, but I must say this, computers DO help. You'd be surprised how much a powertrain update helps.

Got the Journey back from the shop. They flushed the all the valves. They think there was a piece of carbon blocking a valve on #5 cylinder. Gave it a good drive and had no problems. It seems the dealerships daughter had the same problem

• 5 weeks later...

It seems like I am having the same problem as everyone else on here. 2010 Journey with 12,000 miles. Engine shudder happens only when car is cold and starts about 2 miles from my house from about 50-60 miles per hour. Whole car shakes and I have to let off accelerator, Shudder starts again when I get back on the gas pedal. I took into dealer a week ago, of course no codes stored in computer. Same thing happened today this time check engine light stayed on for about a minute. Took it to dealer and they said bring back in morning. My problem is I know they are not going to find anything(unless a code was stored in computer this time). I am going to print this post and take to them when I drop car off. Anybody have any other suggestions what i can do to get this problem solved without having to go to dealership numerous times?

I just recently got a 2011 Dodge Journey. While I love it, I found some weird things recently. The shudder I only notice when Im going in reverse and the tranny is cold. But everything else has been ok. The new pentastar V6 and the new dual clutch 6 speed auto it pretty good. Too bad all you 09 and 10 owners got stuck with a crappy powertrain, but I must say this, computers DO help. You'd be surprised how much a powertrain update helps.

This must be inherent/common with the Pentastar/6 speed as my '11 does exactly the same as yours. I have just over 1K miles on her so I may give her a few more miles before going to the dealer with it. I wonder if it's limited to just the Pentastar equipped Journeys. The RWD applications use a different transmission so it would be an apples to oranges comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so this sounds very familiar to the problem I have been having. I have a Dodge Journey R/T 2010 with 44,000 KM's on it. When I took it into the dealership they said engine was misfiring and the problem was in cylinder 5, they changed the spark plugs, coil,did the leak test and a carbon cleanse cause they said I had carbon build up. I questioned how that could be in a brand new vehicle and he blamed the gas I was using. I told him I use the gas the manufacturer specs indicate and he had no answer. We won't go into the Customer Service issues I have with this particular dealership, but as soon as I left the dealership, I have the same problem. Because I did not have confidence in the dealerships ability to take my concerns serious, I took it to another dealership and sent 2 letters to Chrysler Canada so far.

I just got a call from the other dealership, claiming that they are getting the same reading and that the engine was still misfiring and that the problem was still in cylinder 5, but that now they were taking it apart to clean manually because there is carbon build up. Of course I questioned how that can be and the fact that there has to be some other under lying reason.

BTW my engine also revs up when you put it on cruise control, which they answered and said they changed the computer program. WHAT?

Anyway, did any of you ever figure out what the cause of the issue was?

My Journey is still at dealership has been there for the last 5 days. This is the third time I have had car at dealership for this problem. Last time they flashed the pcm. It seemed to help for about a week or 2. Took it back in last week and left it with them. It finally did shudder for the service writer but it did not store a code. So as of today they are contacting Chrysler to open up a complaint to see what to do next.

My Journey is still at dealership has been there for the last 5 days. This is the third time I have had car at dealership for this problem. Last time they flashed the pcm. It seemed to help for about a week or 2. Took it back in last week and left it with them. It finally did shudder for the service writer but it did not store a code. So as of today they are contacting Chrysler to open up a complaint to see what to do next.

Thanks for replying Bob. I have written to Chrysler Canada about this and it helps to know I am not alone. I suggested they find out what the problem is and replace the engine. My car is still in the shop as well. They actually opened cylinder 5 to see what's happening inside *GASPS* hopefully they will get to the bottome of it. Let me know what you find out please.