Engine Shudder

sdeveau

I've been noticing a "shudder" from the engine (I think) since I had the power steering reservoir replaced.

It feels a little like someone is bouncing in the car, or like I'm driving over uneven pavement (which is what I thought the cause was origanally). Every now and then I feel it in the steering wheel too. Happened this morning actually, while I was coasting on flat pavement. Normally I feel the shudder only when I am excellerating or when I first fire up the engine.

Does the engine just have a harmonic point that causes this shudder and it's normal, or should I been more concerned?

I think my husband thinks I'm nuts. I feel it when he's not in the car, but it's not as bad when he is, almost unnoticable. It's like having weight on both sides of the vehicle makes it better....

Any ideas?

*****----UPDATE----*****

My husband felt the shudder yesterday, so this morning I arranged to drop the Journey off at the dealer on my way home from work.

Because this is the second time we're taking it in for the same issue, I provided them with a written explanation of what we've experienced.

They provided me with a rental, which is great; I'm driving a white Mistubishi Outlander for now. At least these frequent trips to the dealership are keeping our kms down.

The Manager told me he would call me in a couple of days.

I miss my Journey. :(

*****----UPDATE----*****

*****----UPDATE----*****

My husband felt the shudder yesterday, so this morning I arranged to drop the Journey off at the dealer on my way home from work.

Because this is the second time we're taking it in for the same issue, I provided them with a written explanation of what we've experienced.

They provided me with a rental, which is great; I'm driving a white Mistubishi Outlander for now. At least these frequent trips to the dealership are keeping our kms down.

The Manager told me he would call me in a couple of days.

I miss my Journey. :(

*****----UPDATE----*****

Please let me know what they find and if it fixes it. I havent had any work done on mine and I have had what I call a shudder since new. Seems like it will be when coasting, or even accelerating, and sometimes is more evident when slightly turning around a curve in the road. I also feel it in the sterring wheel and at times it will be noticeable to actually see it. Why did you have the power steering resovoir replace?

The reservoir was replaced because there was a grinding noise during left turns only.

There is a TSB for this issue and I took it in to have that applied. While the noise is better, it's not gone; I'd say it's about the same as it was when we first picked up the Journey and then got progressively worse from there.

I dropped the vehicle off on Monday night. The Manager called me Tuesday morning to ask me where my locking wheel nut was (again!) and I haven't heard from them since.

The only thing I was told is that the engine should NOT shudder at idle. There can be a shudder during acceleration as the engine may produce a "harmonic" that creates the shudder. However, they didn't seem to think it should cause the steering wheel to move left to right as it would if the alignment is off.

I will post an update when they tell me what they found is causing the shudder (they had suspisions of a warped rotor which they recently replaced, but that shouldn't cause an engine shudder at idle). Hopefully soon!

*****----UPDATE----*****

The Dealer called today; said my Journey is ready. Here is what they did:

Re-programmed the PCM (power-train control module).

Machined rear rotors and pads (cleaned them, apparently they were rusty).

They said the re-programming will get rid of the engine shudder.

They said cleaning the rust off the rear rotors will get rid of the shudder in the front end that we felt in the steering wheel and while braking.

My husband and I are a little skeptical about this "fix" so we will have to test it out ourselves before we know for sure. I don't see how rusty rear rotors could possibly cause my steering wheel to shudder!

If it's still not fixed though, we're going to a different dealership.

*****----UPDATE----*****

*****----UPDATE----*****

The Dealer called today; said my Journey is ready. Here is what they did:

Re-programmed the PCM (power-train control module).

Machined rear rotors and pads (cleaned them, apparently they were rusty).

They said the re-programming will get rid of the engine shudder.

They said cleaning the rust off the rear rotors will get rid of the shudder in the front end that we felt in the steering wheel and while braking.

My husband and I are a little skeptical about this "fix" so we will have to test it out ourselves before we know for sure. I don't see how rusty rear rotors could possibly cause my steering wheel to shudder!

If it's still not fixed though, we're going to a different dealership.

*****----UPDATE----*****

I'd be skeptical also. Please keep my posted. I actually think my steering wheel shudder as a combination of not accurate balanced front axle shafts as mine have no weights on them, and crappy tires. i have the 17" rims and tires and do not like them. Rear rotors will not cause a steering wheel to shake.

What tire rim and tire package do you have? Was the shudder in the steering wheel braking while slightly turning the wheel?

I'd be skeptical also. Please keep my posted. I actually think my steering wheel shudder as a combination of not accurate balanced front axle shafts as mine have no weights on them, and crappy tires. i have the 17" rims and tires and do not like them. Rear rotors will not cause a steering wheel to shake.

What tire rim and tire package do you have? Was the shudder in the steering wheel braking while slightly turning the wheel?

We have the 19" Chrome Wheels. We didn't have this shuddering problem before they replaced parts in the engine and the wheels.

The engine seems to have a much rougher idle now that they have reprogrammed the PCM. I'm going to give it a couple of days to test it out before talking to the Dealer again.

The shudder in the steering wheel has happened both during coasting and during breaking (straight line). I was told by the parts girl when she read my service invoice that rust was causing the shudder in the steering wheel; so they cleaned the rotors.

In actuality, there was a "minor" warp on one of the rotors which they machined to repair. I still don't understand how the rear rotor would cause the steering wheel to shudder while coasting. My salesman told me it sounded more like a tie-rod issue. He's changed dealerships and recommended I bring my vehicle to the dearlership he transferred to. Apparently my current Dealer has been "known" to extend repair issues to rake in the cash from Chrysler for warranty work.

He was also very skeptical about the repairs they said they did.

I'm still not happy, as I said though, I'm going to give it a couple of days to see how the engine performs with their "repair".

I will definately keep you updated. I would hate for this to happen to anyone else. The Journey is such a great vehicle, I just want it to perform the way it should.

Ok so the shudder is getting worse. It's much rougher on idle now and there is no rhythm to it. I feel it while driving too. The weird thing is that it's not constant, so I don't think it's the alignment.

I called the Service Manager, he said that three people test drove the vehicle and didn't notice anything unusual. So I asked again if the engine shuddering at idle is normal, because if so tell me and I'll stop bugging you. He said it's not. He suggested that I have a different driving style that's causing me to feel shuddering when driving. I reminded him that it happens when the vehicle is sitting idle.

He told me that they can't fix something if they don't know what they're fixing. That's fair enough. However, they've had the vehicle twice for the same issue and it only started after they replaced the front pads and rotors, and the steering reservoir. They are supposed to be experts with these vehicles and since they can't even find my locking wheels nut in the "very secret" compartment under the front passenger seat, I have no confidence in their ability.

This is rediculous! I'm taking it to a new dealership.

Ok so the shudder is getting worse. It's much rougher on idle now and there is no rhythm to it. I feel it while driving too. The weird thing is that it's not constant, so I don't think it's the alignment.

I called the Service Manager, he said that three people test drove the vehicle and didn't notice anything unusual. So I asked again if the engine shuddering at idle is normal, because if so tell me and I'll stop bugging you. He said it's not. He suggested that I have a different driving style that's causing me to feel shuddering when driving. I reminded him that it happens when the vehicle is sitting idle.

He told me that they can't fix something if they don't know what they're fixing. That's fair enough. However, they've had the vehicle twice for the same issue and it only started after they replaced the front pads and rotors, and the steering reservoir. They are supposed to be experts with these vehicles and since they can't even find my locking wheels nut in the "very secret" compartment under the front passenger seat, I have no confidence in their ability.

This is rediculous! I'm taking it to a new dealership.

Keep me posted. Hopefully the new dealership will be better.

• 2 weeks later...

We had the same issue with ours. Car would start to shudder violently at 40-60 mph for 2-3 minutes and then it would quit. Dodge checked the tires and steering. Of course they found nothing. Then it eventually threw a code during one episode. Of course the PCM didn't store the code so again they could do nothing. Yesterday it did it for me for the first time. 3 miles from home it starts to shake and then the CEL comes on (flashed 12 times). Took it straight to Dodge and they were finally able to pull a code. Cylinder #5 misfire. I'm guessing it has a bad ignition coil. Should find out tomorrow. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

09DJ...I have had random violent shaking at 40-60 mph. Is your shaking still gone? My dealer cannot figure it out. Never does it for them. Mine does it at random times. It has a constant shake that is hard to feel, but then all of a sudden it feels like I am running over railroad ties put together in a row.

sdeveau...Did you get you vehicle fixed? Was it the same as 09DJ's problem....I need this fixed.

Today I noticed my remote starter did not work. I figured it won't because of what ever is wrong with my car. My engine light is on. It blinks and dings when the shaking is bad. I figured I will suggest DJ09 resolution...hope it works. They were supposed to call and have not. They have had my car 3 times in a month and probably sick of me.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

We had shaking going on on our 2009 Dodge Journey. It shook so bad you thought you were going to lose control. Took it to dealer and there was a Chrysler rep there and he said that was normal (maybe he should have took it back to Detroit and let his wife drive it and then see what he thought). Took it back several times before a code finally came up. They said there was carbon buildup and had to replace a spark plug. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

We had the same issue with ours. Car would start to shudder violently at 40-60 mph for 2-3 minutes and then it would quit. Dodge checked the tires and steering. Of course they found nothing. Then it eventually threw a code during one episode. Of course the PCM didn't store the code so again they could do nothing. Yesterday it did it for me for the first time. 3 miles from home it starts to shake and then the CEL comes on (flashed 12 times). Took it straight to Dodge and they were finally able to pull a code. Cylinder #5 misfire. I'm guessing it has a bad ignition coil. Should find out tomorrow. Hope this helps.

We had the same misfire code in cylinder 5. Noticed slight hesitation just about 2 km from home when engine cold and when car goes into 6th gear at low rpm's. Carbon buildup on the valves,just around 27 000 km. Second Journey at our dealership to have this and sounds like caused by a PCM problem. We have a 2010 journey RT bought last December. They pulled heads and mechanic confirmed the heads were carboned up fairly bad. 13 hours of work, but covered under warranty. We were always using mid grade gas and reputable gas companies. Soaking the combustion chamber may be a temporary fix and this is what mechanic told me. Have been taking my cars to this dealer for years and service manager really good, so they knew this was problem as exactly same problem as another Journey and that's what they found when they pulled heads. Keep you eyes on it. Our car runs like new now.

Ok, I experienced the front brake rotors needing to be replaced and took the car in for the warranty work. The next day I had shuddering engine issues like is being mentioned. When I took the car in they mentioned the exact same 5th cylinder issue and that it was carboned up and needed cleaning. They told me to use better gas...When I got the car back I was driving it around the very next day and the shuddering returned, as well the check engine light started to flash. Took it in and they had to rebuild the top-end including new head gasket. 2 weeks in the shop later I got it back and everything was fixed under warranty which also included cost of rental car. 22000km's and I'm scared to own this thing now...

• 1 month later...

My no. 4 cylinder has low compression. Engine light went on, first updated with a TSB for cold start. Light was off for two days. Back on again. Measured low compression. Carbon built up is expected. They will remove the cylinder head, replace the required parts and ready to go.

• 3 months later...

Please let me know what they find & if it fixes it. I haven't had any work done on mine and I have had what I call a shudder since new. Looks like it will be when coasting, or even accelerating, and sometimes is more evident when slightly turning around a curve in the road.

• 1 month later...

Please let me know what they find & if it fixes it. I haven't had any work done on mine and I have had what I call a shudder since new. Looks like it will be when coasting, or even accelerating, and sometimes is more evident when slightly turning around a curve in the road.

I have a 2010 Journey with what you'd classify as "engine shutter". I had taken it to the dealership that I bought it from 6 times and was told every time that the "shutter" that I complained about, was normal for this 6 speed transmission. Thankfully the dealership has to note in their computer what you've brought your car in for every time you bring it in.

Final straw was me driving home on the expressway doing 74 mph and my car began to shutter like the transmission would drop out at any minute. The dash check engine light (looks like a mini transmission, dealership calls check engine light) came on clearly indicating a problem. I pulled into the nearest Dodge dealership only to be told it would take 3 hours before they'd be able to have anyone look at it. I calmly thanked them for all their help, got back into my Journey and drove away.

At this point I'm very angry and ready to either blow up the transmission or engine, which ever was the cause of the issue! My thought at this point is either way it’s covered under the warranty!!

As I continued to get closer to home I remembered a friend telling me about a Dodge Dealership that she'd recommend. I pulled into their Service bay, explained my car shuttering and was asked how often it happened. As the gentleman in the Service center pulled up my name in their computer he seemed surprised that I'd had it in 6 times for the same issue with nothing ever serviced.

Long story short, as soon as I told him about the engine light coming on he knew exactly what was happening and told me that is was called "Combustible Carbon Buildup". An issue that’s more common than the dealerships let on.

He explained that the car is not safe to drive like this and immediately called the rental company to get me a replacement while they worked on my Journey. It only took two days for the dealership to fix and Chrysler paid for the rental car during this time.

This "engine shutter" is not normal, and if you live in Michigan, I can recommend a great dealership!!