Wet Brakes & Odd Sound

I just recently purchased a 2012 Dodge Journey R/T with 36,000KM and I just washed it for the first time. When I went to stop right after the car wash it barely did & made an awful noise. Now it's been hours after the car wash and under heavier braking it makes this odd popping sound. It doesn't sound like the ABS, what could the issue be? I did just order new brakes (rotors & pads) & hope that is the problem, not a chassis issue. Please help, thanks!

The front rotors were warped already and the pads had only 50% life left so I decided to go with some upgraded brakes from OEM anyhow. I was just hoping that this popping noise was related to the brakes and not something else.

11journeybama Thanks for the ease of mind. I cannot believe the stock brakes are so terrible.

They upgraded the brakes sometime in 2012. Yours must have been before. Good idea replacing with quality aftermarket parts then. Most people keep going back to the dealer, who puts in the same crappy parts, only to fail prematurely again. And they repeat the cycle over and over. Lol. The popping could be anything really. I still recommend pulling a wheel and doing a visual inspection of everything.. Did you buy from a dealer and did you get any kind of warranty?

I bought it privately and I did drive it fairly hard on the test drive and the days after with no popping sound. As soon as I washed the Journey the noise started and has seemed to have stopped now that it is dry. I did get the brakes very wet as I tried to get rid of the excessive brake dust.

Mine has done this for the last year.

After washing down the wheels you will see

a coating of surface rust/oxidation appear

on the rotors but it wears off quickly

and the noise all but disappears.

My DJ is almost 4 years old and has about

8 to 10 K left on the pads so it will be

done this summer.

• Official Dodge Support

I just recently purchased a 2012 Dodge Journey R/T with 36,000KM and I just washed it for the first time. When I went to stop right after the car wash it barely did & made an awful noise. Now it's been hours after the car wash and under heavier braking it makes this odd popping sound. It doesn't sound like the ABS, what could the issue be? I did just order new brakes (rotors & pads) & hope that is the problem, not a chassis issue. Please help, thanks!

Pipkerx,

Welcome to the forum.

Keep an ear out for the noise after the pads and rotors are replaced.

A brake inspection wouldn't be out of the question though as jkeaton mentioned, not necessarily worth replacing parts until the issue is better understood (outside of the needed parts at this time).