Flashing Third Brake Light

I was following a new Dodge Caravan last night. I could tell it was new or fairly new because of the LED tail lamps. When the driver hit the brakes, the center brake light flashed a few times and then stayed on continuously. Is there a way to have the DJ do this? Is this feature part of the bulb, or some thing that is wired in on the positive side? I think it makes the driver behind more aware of the brakes being applied.

A lot of motorcycles (and I've seen mustangs) put those kits in. I think it's just a little wiring box you wire inline to the brakes. It'll make it flash 3 times, then go solid.

There's tons of different options:

http://www.flashingbrakelights.com/

Edited by onecrazyfoo4u

They won't work on Journey I've tried two of them it's got to with the canbus wiring like the guy before there are lots of them out there but finding the right one let me know I would like one when you find one that works Thanks

seems odd it would work on a different late model Dodge and not the DJ... I'm sure there is a work around.

I found one from Kahtec Technologies Int. There is a Charger on the website, so I'm guessing it will work. I bought the next one up from the base: It will blink 6 times in 2.2 seconds. If I hit the brakes again within 8 seconds (bumper to bumper traffic), it will not blink. $30.44 to ship it from Texas. You put in your zip code and it figures the shipping cost. I'll let you know if it works/doesn't work. Website stated that it will work on all vehicles with a third brake light, and they sell them in Europe. Time will tell.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I found one from Kahtec Technologies Int. There is a Charger on the website, so I'm guessing it will work. I bought the next one up from the base: It will blink 6 times in 2.2 seconds. If I hit the brakes again within 8 seconds (bumper to bumper traffic), it will not blink. $30.44 to ship it from Texas. You put in your zip code and it figures the shipping cost. I'll let you know if it works/doesn't work. Website stated that it will work on all vehicles with a third brake light, and they sell them in Europe. Time will tell.

Finally installed this yesterday. The ground from the tiny unit ties into the ground wire. Cut the positive, and the blue wire from the unit ties in where the wire is going to the light, and the red wire from the unit ties in where the positive wire is coming from the harness. Took all of 5 minutes. Works flawlessly. I stuffed everything down in the center of the cavity, so that the left mounting screw for the light would not touch any of the wires.

Finally installed this yesterday. The ground from the tiny unit ties into the ground wire. Cut the positive, and the blue wire from the unit ties in where the wire is going to the light, and the red wire from the unit ties in where the positive wire is coming from the harness. Took all of 5 minutes. Works flawlessly. I stuffed everything down in the center of the cavity, so that the left mounting screw for the light would not touch any of the wires.

Video please?

Huh?? You just posted... Don't understand.

Just a link to a you tube video is all that is necessary.

The box that I use to type on is all grayed out. When I type, it looks like I'm using an old IBM typewriter. But, when I hit the POST box, it comes out fine. I'm clueless. Something has changed.

I have never put any thing on You Tube.

http://kahtec.com/ This is where I bought mine. It is the second one down: Delay Version. They were displaying it on a Charger, so I figured that it would work on a DJ. Someone posted that he never found one that would work.

Edited by dhh3

Yup! That's it. That is exactly what mine does. The Module is 1/2 the size of a Zippo Lighter, with 3 wires. Simple, straight forward installation. And, Dodge was nice enough to leave just enough slack to do the installation. The harness wires come from the left side. That is why I tucked everything down in the middle of the light housing cavity. I didn't want the light's left mounting screw to short anything out. After the video plays, the title of the video is: 3rd brake light strobe, Kahtec delay version Porsche Boxter 986.

Edited by dhh3