There is a silver box that sits behind the dash. It looks like a MyGig without a screen. I believe that this is the radio. You would need one of these that has the Navigation installed. As far as the icons on your screen, they may display with the new unit. And you would need a GPS antenna.

I have never wanted Navigation incorporated with the radio in any of my vehicles. If one part fails, you lose the whole unit. Usually, I get a Garmin. Mopar used to sell Garmin units that had mounts/enclosures that were vehicle specific. But, no more. Now, I just use my iPhone for Navigation. When I plug in a route, the phone, via Bluetooth, stays on for the duration of the trip, and silences the radio when instructions are called out. And, plugging the phone into the USB charges it while I am using it for Nav. I have an Insignia mount that clips onto my middle vent. This puts my phone at eye level, where God intended all Navigation units to be.

Done it.

If you have an 8.4 with SiriusXM you already have the GPS antenna.

You will need a new radio module, which as dhh said, resides behind the air conditioning controls - the swap takes about 3 minutes.

The radio can be purchased used online at prices that are typically in the range of $800 to $1500 or more - and you will not have a warranty from Chrysler (though it may be possible to make a 'backroom deal' with your dealer should you have problems).

Radios manufactured before 2013 usually do not need to be unlocked (if they've been updated with newer firmware a code may be required). Later ones do. PM me for details on unlocking - it can be done for free and only requires the serial number of the radio (on a sticker, or visible from the dealer menu, which is accessible even if the radio is locked) and the VIN of the vehicle that you are installing it in.

With the exception of the channel presets, all of the features (heated seat control, backup camera and so on) are enabled in the body controller, so the radio doesn't play a part in making those features work - you will need to call SiriusXM to move your subscription (if you have one) to the new radio once you have it installed. The radio ID is found on Sirius channel 0.

And, if you do find a used unit, Sirius will think that you are driving the vehicle type the unit came from. When I had my 2011 Nitro, I swapped out my radio w/Sirius 2x. First time, they thought I was driving a Jeep; second time I was driving a 2014 Town and Country. It was a dealer take out because someone wanted Nav.

You should have listened in on the conversation when I called them to drop the subscription on my "minivan", because I traded it for the DJ. Since it was a new radio, and I had extended the subscription, they had to add that to the DJ. I think I'm paid up for not quite 2 years, but I confused the poor girl at Sirius because she couldn't figure out why I traded a 2014 T&C for a 2014 DJ. She was so confused, that she had to get 2 or 3 more people on the line. Finally got it all sorted out after about 1.5 hours! Then, I received a bill for $2.15 that is not due until August 2015.

To avoid confusion I simply stated up front that my radio had been changed and that I needed the subscription transferred - they do not normally transfer subscriptions between radios - manufacturer supplied radios are the exception. It was very simple and smooth.

Edited by bramfrank

• 11 months later...

$1300 is highway robbery . . . . and as long as you have Sirius (which all of the 8.4 systems sold in North America do) then ANY upgrade is plug and play no matter where you get your radio.

For the record it isn't an activation code, but rather the security antitheft unlock code that most modern radios require including our units - if you can't find someone to unlock your radio for free there is someone on this board who has been providing this information on request (no, not me).

On the other hand, if you have a vehicle with the new 8.4A system (like a new Durango and such), that requires a code to enable the Nav - all of the hardware is already on board. But the code costs . . . .

Correct, it's not an activation code, it's an anti-theft code. And $1,300 isn't cheap but your only other option is to try and find a used unit for sale somewhere.

With the newer vehicles that have the 8.4A, an activation code is needed to unlock the navigation but it still is not the same as the 8.4N, different navigation and less features than the N has.

And that costs $500-600 for the code.

I have no idea what that part number is . . . . . But THIS is a valid radio:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-14-CHRYSLER-DODGE-Charger-300-Navigation-Radio-RB5-HDD-BLOCK-CD-MP3-Player-/172002206314?hash=item280c21626a:g:sZIAAOSwv0tVMW9P&vxp=mtr

Note that the compatability chart is wrong - Radios from Darts do not work in Journeys.

The radio IS the module - it is located behind the lower bezel and to replace it is very simple;

- Pop the two shiny horizontal trim pieces using a trim tool to expose the screws that hold the lower bezel in place

- Remove the lower bezel, carefully unplugging the multipin connector that connects it to the vehicle

- unscrew the four torx screws that hold the radio module in place and slide it out to expose the rear connectors

- carefully unplug the various connectors from the rear of the radio and then set the old radio module aside

- Plug the connectors into the new radio module and slide it into position

- Screw the four torx screws back into the radio mounting holes - don't crossthread them,

- Reconnect the multipin connector to the lower bezel

- Snap in the bottom of the bezel an then reinsert the screws that fasten the top

- Pop the ends of the shiny horizontal trim pieces.

Now call Sirius to have your subscription transferred from the old vehicle to the new.

Elapsed time . . . . about 10 minutes.

Checking online I found this from a 2013 part number 05091367ZF. Hoping that this is the only part I will need ( don't want to be buying and returning used parts) and once installed I will need to visit the dealer to unlock the unit and program for the navi to work. I take it once hooked up the navi icon will be displayed on the screen.