I'm thinking about upgrading the speakers in my doors. The dash speakers seem too complicated so I'm gonna skip them for now. I don't think my journey has any in the 3rd row/cargo area so I'll wait on that for now. What should I go with? Suggestions please!! I've done crutchfield in the past but I used sonic auto a few ayers ago to order some head units for other cars and they were way faster as far as shipping.

All 4 doors are 6x9. There are no replacement speakers for the dash because of their odd shape. I put Alpines in my doors, A Kicker underseat enclosure/sub (8") under my seat and am adding Alpine tweeters to my dash next week. These tweeters have an inline crossover. Can't wait to hear them.

Either option is fine... I would go with 6.5" or 6.75" (if they fit) in the doors. If doing that, Crutchfield will be cheaper because you'll get the mounting brackets for free. Up front it would definitely be worth installing components. You can install the tweeter from the component in the sail panel in the door and get some pretty remarkable sound.

I was planning on doing wheels this year, but ended up buying a skate sharpener for my son and I since we spend so much getting our hockey skates sharpened. Given that the sharpener ate up a little more than a grand, I will probably focus on the stereo this spring/summer instead. I plan on a similar set up to what I mentioned above, but I will amplify the components to get the most out of them. Let us know what you decide.

Im leaning towards the kickers for the doors and also for the dash. My only question is where does everyone get their speakers from? Like I said i used crutch field in the past buy they are too far away from me the shipping takes forever! just wanted to ask too if the journeys use the same speaker harness adapters as older mopars.

I bought my 6x9 Alpines at Best Buy because they were on sale. They put out the best bass of all the speakers on the display board, including Kickers and Sony. I bought the Kicker sub/enclosure from 1/2 Price Audio on ebay. List is $299. I made an offer for $250 and it was accepted + free shipping. I bought the tweeters from Audio Savings on ebay. I searched by Model number and they had the lowest price + free shipping. All of the installs were/will be done @ Best Buy.

I added an amp to my Nitro, and really didn't see/hear much difference. I usually run the volume @ 20. I can turn it all the way up with no distortion or clipping. The sub has a remote gain control mounted under the heater controls, so I have no plans for an amp. This little sub will vibrate the mirrors and my baggy jeans! And, actually hurt my ears. After the tweeter install next week, I think that I am done with my audio.

Edited by dhh3

I bought my 6x9 Alpines at Best Buy because they were on sale. They put out the best bass of all the speakers on the display board, including Kickers and Sony. I bought the Kicker sub/enclosure from 1/2 Price Audio on ebay. List is $299. I made an offer for $250 and it was accepted + free shipping. I bought the tweeters from Audio Savings on ebay. I searched by Model number and they had the lowest price + free shipping. All of the installs were/will be done @ Best Buy.

I added an amp to my Nitro, and really didn't see/hear much difference. I usually run the volume @ 20. I can turn it all the way up with no distortion or clipping. The sub has a remote gain control mounted under the heater controls, so I have no plans for an amp. This little sub will vibrate the mirrors and my baggy jeans! And, actually hurt my ears. After the tweeter install next week, I think that I am done with my audio.

The amp doesn't provide more volume, it provides enough power to move the speakers without causing distortion or clipping... If you buy speakers that are matched well with the stereo (not sure what the factory wattage is), there is no need for an amp. If you upgrade to speakers without paper cones that are more rigid they will require more power to move them.

Edited by Lobitz68

The radio part of the 8.4 looks like a MyGig without the screen. MyGigs were rated at 66 watts; 16.5w/channel. Just a guess that this still applies. Since they removed the 30 gig hard drive (dumb move, IMHO), maybe they put in a bigger amp.

The radio part of the 8.4 looks like a MyGig without the screen. MyGigs were rated at 66 watts; 16.5w/channel. Just a guess that this still applies. Since they removed the 30 gig hard drive (dumb move, IMHO), maybe they put in a bigger amp.

The very same stereo is different between models, so I would count on it being the same, but maybe... That is usually a safe number to assume for modern stereos...

Does anyone know where this info can be obtained?? I can't find it anywhere, but it would be nice to know how many watts per channel these units deliver...

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...