Bad Luck

crossroadjohn

We bought our 14 Crossroad in May of last year, and when it had under 1000 miles on it my wife hit a sharp rock and slit the inner sidewall of the rr tire. so I had to buy a new tire, $220.00. Then in January she got in a minor fender bender with a pickup truck with a plow on it. The plow hit the right front tire and pierced the right front fender. it didn't look all that bad until it was pulled apart at the body shop. It bent the wheel and tie rod, The main wiring harness also got cut when the plow pierced the fender. Our insurance company would not pay for a new harness because the shop spliced the wires to get it to run.

We just got it back last week, and it looks great, but when my wife went to use the front windshield washer it doesn't work. I'm betting the body shop missed a broken wire in the wire harness that should have been replaced and not spliced. Oh and the 19" crossroad wheel is still on back order. Our new Journey just doesn't feel new anymore.

Edited by crossroadjohn

Let your insurance company know in writing that you believe their repair was deficient and that you hold them accountable for any future issues that may be wiring related without limit. Splices are rarely done properly by shops.

As to your experience - I know that it sucks to have the bloom off the rose ... someone scratched the rear quarter panel on my ride and I'd not likely have noticed if I didn't pick up a nail in the tire on that corner of the vehicle the other day.

My insurance company assured me that anything accident related would be covered. The harness runs from under dash to everything under the hood, and would have doubled my claim if repaired the right way. It would have been easier to change when the front fender and bumper was off.

What your insurance company didn't tell you is that they'll cover the repair for as long as you keep them as your insurance company . . . . . so you are handcuffed to them until you change the vehicle. Make sure that you get a WRITTEN commitment that their sub-par repair is covered by them in perpetuity, whether or not you insure through them.

And I suspect that they aren't the least expensive game in town, so you've probably got incentive to change.

I totally feel your pain. Our 2013 Crew, purchased in May 2013 got hit in July of that year - ruined the front fascia. Then in early December 2014 another car backed into the passenger side rear fascia. Didn't even get a chance to fix that - two weeks later a young driver blew a red light and destroyed the front end - $11,000 in damage. It sucks having that new car magic stripped from you when the car is still so new.

Does the rear washer work? If so, then there is power to the washer pump (it reverses direction for the rear washer) and the problem then will be a cut or kinked washer fluid supply hose. If neither washer works then there may be a wiring issue. I see your state is Michigan. Could it be that the fluid is simply frozen? I've had plenty of frozen washer tanks in my shop last month. Everything here is frozen, including the bay down the street from my home! Most frozen washer tanks have ice at the bottom and the filler neck still has liquid in it.