update on sunroof

wyoram

I got the car back today and it still leaks. Although it is the best that I have noticed. So far the work performed has been the drain tube TSB, a complete new sunroof assembly, new headliner, and today it was just a seal. When the service department called me to tell me it is done, I asked them did you run it through an automatic car wash. He said no. I tell him than it still leaks right. His reply "I recommend you not run it through the automatic car wash." I tell him it is a brand new car and with todays technology you would think you could build a sunroof that does not leak through an automatic car wash. And if it is a small leak now it will only get worse. Then I am out the money to replace a ruined headliner because of a defective part. The service manager understood my point, but acted like his hands were tied and was not going to do anything else to fix the matter.

To top it all off I found some new problems. The roof rack rails are installed wrong. I can barely get the cross rail on the farthest back position because the rails are too close together. I can see the rails spreading apart and have to use quite a bit of force to get the cross rails down. Plus now I can smell oil burning from the engine compartment. There are no oil spots on the ground and I can't find any obvious leaks.

I did not notice any leaks when I went through the auto/brushless car wash with the Journey, but my 2007 Caliber does leak a little when I use the same wash. It does not leak in the rain. There is a lot of pressure hitting the sun roof and I can see water being forced in when it passes. If the roof rails are not right and you smell oil,I'd take it back there, or to another dealer.

I did not notice any leaks when I went through the auto/brushless car wash with the Journey, but my 2007 Caliber does leak a little when I use the same wash. It does not leak in the rain. There is a lot of pressure hitting the sun roof and I can see water being forced in when it passes. If the roof rails are not right and you smell oil,I'd take it back there, or to another dealer.

This last time to the dealer is supposed to have the better service department. But it is out of town for me. Makes it a little bit of hassle for me. The first dealer actually told me to take it to them. They were supposed to fix a squeaky headliner too. And did not fix it either. I walked right back in and said hey this is not fixed either. Plus the headliner had all kinds of black finger marks. He took the car to the detail shop and they were able to get it clean. But to try and give me a filthy car that was their fault is stupid. I am just SOL for service here :banghead:

I also have had no problems taking my Journey through the car wash. I had a 2001 Grand Cherokee and a 1999 Mazda 626 that did not leak going through the car wash. So sealing up against water has been around for a while.

I also have had no problems taking my Journey through the car wash. I had a 2001 Grand Cherokee and a 1999 Mazda 626 that did not leak going through the car wash. So sealing up against water has been around for a while.

For me this is my second vehicle with a sunroof. The red Dodge has one and it does not leak.

• 5 months later...