Supercharged

Weav

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Check out RIPP superchargers for 3.6l engines they are available and bolt on and also computer tuning.

They do not offer one for the Dodge Journey. The 3.6 yes. But only for Charger, Challenger, Durango, Ram, 300 and Jeeps. Not the Journey.

http://www.rippmods.com/products/

Edited by jkeaton

I'm just about to hit 30,000. Probably going to throw in a drop in k&n cause o want to keep the ram air and I'm going to see if a throttle body spacer can be used. Any of you know if one would fit? Just looking for better response, I noticed sometimes it doesn't move as quick as I'd like it, already have two magnaflow performance mufflers ne t is magnaflow resonator, motor mods are very slim picking, I guy in my city said he bought a chip for 40$ and it gave him an extra 50 HP lol. I just shook my head let him believe it

Well as for throttle response you would have to play with the voltage to throttle posting sensor that's built in to the body and give it more voltage by doing so it responds quicker. But that's some kits you get for muscle cars . Don't think they would had it for DJ.

Throttle body spacers only work for carburetors. We have injection so it won't do a thing And would be a waste of money. Best way to make it rev up faster is an aftermarket intake and cold air is best. I know a lot of people slam on the short ram intake for it taking in hot air from the engine compartment but if your driving on the highway the hot air is blasted out anyways lol. Had one on my last car. Lost horsepower from off the line cuz when your stopped at a red light the hot air is just welling up but once your moving the hot air is pushed out and if you I was cruising at say 50-60kmph and stomped on the gas it would just take off like a bullet. I drive 90% highway so it was fine for me and they also sound amazing and what's losing 2-3 horsepower anyways lol I ended up removing the rear upper seal at the back of the engine bay below the hood right in front of the windshield to help evacuate the hot engine air at lower speeds. The true cold air systems are pretty expensive but my friend made a pretty nice one for cheap. Got a short ram Intake for $50 and custom fabbed a filter box with 2 big holes and ran 2 big dryer hose ducts to his lower grill.

They have wider piping and high flowing filters allowing more air to enter. Stock intakes are pretty restrictive. They make them small from factory because less air means less fuel which means higher mpg and that's a big selling point. The really high end ones have twin wall tubing to keep the air cooler. It's really not a myth! Lol why else would race cars use them?? Why do you think the first thing they do is throw the factory intakes in the garbage?? Derp!! Hehehe

Ok, so are aftermarket intakes a myth. There is no easy answer.

I have done quite a bit of logging on a different platform with a couple different intake systems and driving around while under motion I have yet to see an increase in temps over ambient. Yes at a stop the temps will increase above ambient but as soon as you get moving the temp drops right back down. So like mentioned from a stop you are probably seeing a slight loss in power, but the loss in power would be like comparing driving your vehicle in 50F weather or 70F weather. Can you tell the difference? And that is just off the line before the air gets flowing.

But Sean is correct that they will increase your throttle response slightly as you have less restriction. Less restriction means the air will get moving quicker. But if you would even notice the increase in throttle response is hard to say.

Most 3rd party dynos I have seen on varying platforms show at most a 1-2 whp PEAK gain, which is well within the error factor of a dyno. Which shows that for total air flow the factory air box has enough for max power. Oh and race cars and other highly modified engines would need the extra size of an aftermarket intake, and if someone supercharged ours that would most likely be needed. But on a stock journey with only exhaust would not benefit much, other than slightly better throttle response.

So yes they do increase performance slightly, just not peak power. Most likely not enough to factor the price tag, but really who cares about price. Its all about the cool factor. Its all up to what you determine is worth it. And it all depends if you think the quicker throttle response is worth the slight power loss from a stop.

Edited by vozaday