2010 JOURNEY engine replacement from 2008 avenger P0340

Jake Stover

recently installed a replacement engine into a 2010 journey. Engine came from a junkyard out of a 2008 avenger. Code was a p0340 (camshaft sensor intermittant). Swapped old sensor into new engine. No change. Clear it and it comes right back on as soon as vehicle is started. Performed crankshaft to cam relearn, checked all my wires. Getting solid 5v on 5v reference line. No shorts to ground or voltage. Good ohm test between cam connector and pcm connector. Is it possible the avengers have a different reluctor wheel on the cam sprocket or different timing set or flywheel? Visually looked exactly the same. Vehicle seems to run right, just CEL on. COde was not in the vehicle prior to engine damage and replacement. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum. I have not had my DJ long enough to be able to give expert advice; and, I now nothing about Avengers either. Now, ask me a question about the Nitro, and I'd be right on it!

3.5L? Not sure if it will help but I have attached a pdf file for P0340 diagnostics.

Also found this:

All model vehicles built 1/17/2008 thru 5/16/2008 equipped with a 3.5L or 4.0L engine which are setting a P0344/P0340 DTC above 3000 RPM may have a camshaft drive gear tone ring separation issue occurring. The tone ring may be completely separated from the sprocket or still attached, but not parallel to the sprocket causing runout. Inspect the camshaft drive gear tone ring for proper alignment. If the drive gear tone ring exhibits one of the two defects, then replace the component.

p0340_2010_Journey.pdf

• 10 months later...

hey i just did an engine swap in my journey ...what a pain to do...i was lucky enough to find another 09 journey engine ..i had some issues changing it but nothing too major.there are a few engines that fit and are the same...but i didn't think the avenger engine was the same..i was told by the scrap yard that only the journey and sebring were interchangable...what was the issue with yours?? i changed ours because it was going through 6 liters of coolant a week, and between 3 to 5 liters of oil between oil changes...i thought we could get more than 172000km out of it...but nope.

here is an update on this....the engine works like it should...now when i installed the new engine the computer would not recognize the throttlebody with the "fly by wire " servo.(the red hourglass with the lightning bolt was lit on the dash) i replaced the intake plenuim(ugly plastic chummy) with my original one and all was right with the world in that respect....we used the car for a few days and wouldn't you know it ...the NO START issue is still there... when the problem happens no servos do any movements under the hood...there is just deadness and the starter grunts the engine over about 10 degrees...nice! i picked up the used ECM from the same auto recycler that the engine came from..infact it is the ecm for the engine i'm using from the same journey...great i plugged it in friday night and the engine started and the "fly by wire " warning light was lit and the engine shut off in 30 seconds with the security light flashing....so im off to the dealer to have the newish ecm flashed tomorrow....i would have thought that a new starter,ignition,used engine and wireing under the hood would have also cured my no start issue but no!..here is the last kick at the cat with the ecm...i sure hope it does it,it does seem like the mileage has something to do with the no start, most i've read about have had around 60K miles (100k KM )and above just off of warranty..hummmm !!! makes you think.....