4.3s to 8.4 Uconnect and Backup Camera installed

The dealer could certainly be wrong but they told me it was a completely different harness. Besides the fact that you would need to wire the three sensors if you didnt use a harness. If there is a better option I would be excited to hear it. I added the auto button in the front but it didn't change anything. I also asked the dealer if I could fool the computer into thinking the sensors were hooked up so I could still adjust the digital sliders but they said no dice. Tough to really control the temp when there is no read-out or dial to show what the temp is set to.

I don't have an auto button, just a control button for the fan and climate control being on or off. I'll post a pic of the inside maybe we're talking the same thing. The more I read the forum, the more I might try to find a donor radio.

I have a quick question. I ran everything last night and have the camera installed and harness run all the way up to the front. When I followed the directions in the pdf, they have you put the 3 wires into the 22 pin connector. I have the existing connector on mine and the slots they have listed are all occupied. Did you run into this? I am wondering if I should pull the existing pins and isolate them, or join the new ones with the existing conductors. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The guides are added by the radio, so no.

My backup camera kit is enroute - paid US$258 and will do the install myself, but given a comment in topic about the pins in the connector being occupied (those pins are the composite video input to the radio), I wonder if perhaps Dodge has started including the camera connections in the basic harness . . . .

If so I would not need the wiring harness that comes with the full kit . . . . I could have gotten the OEM camera assembly as a stand alone part for less than $100 . . . . . .

It will be a few weeks before I attempt the installation - I will report back when I know more.

• 8 months later...

Great information here on the form. I too have just installed the factory camera to my 2015 journey r/t rallye awd. I found you don't have to remove the passenger side 3rd row seat back, as per the instruction manual. Just a little short cut. Over all the install is just time consuming not very difficult.

That said I have a question!

I have a 22pin connector on the back of my TGM harness. The all the spaces on the connector are used. Does anyone know if I need to remove the wires from cavity 15, 16, 17 and replace them with the camera wires or do they need to be spliced together. This was not covered in the install manual.

Thanks First Timer... :noobie:

They replace the wires that are there . . . . I'd have preferred to be able to find the other end of that wire in the back of the vehicle, so I'd have been able to forego pulling the various panels, but alas that was not to be.

Note that you can move the cable lock on the connector and then slip the original wires out.

What I ended up doing was to have the dealer make those radio-end connections when I was there to add the sales code - they were going to charge me the same 1 hour labour anyway and this way they would have been responsible for any damage to the radio or the connector.

Does the rear temp controls not working have anything to do with the fact that in higher optioned journeys the rear section has its own fan? My base model cvp had 1 blower for front and rear and my new rt has a separate blower for the rear passengers and the rear is also auto.

Great information here on the form. I too have just installed the factory camera to my 2015 journey r/t rallye awd. I found you don't have to remove the passenger side 3rd row seat back, as per the instruction manual. Just a little short cut. Over all the install is just time consuming not very difficult.

That said I have a question!

I have a 22pin connector on the back of my TGM harness. The all the spaces on the connector are used. Does anyone know if I need to remove the wires from cavity 15, 16, 17 and replace them with the camera wires or do they need to be spliced together. This was not covered in the install manual.

Thanks First Timer... :noobie:

My Dealer installed my camera as part of the sale. The Tech removed the entire 3rd row left seat!

Maybe you will have to go to the dealer and add the 8.4 to the build sheet. Then, maybe all of the functions will work.

Edited by dhh3

• 6 months later...

Awesome job bro serious 👏👏👏👏I have 15 dj and am looking for exactly what u did now questions bud where did u get the 8.3 lower bezel and the re 2? I think u said ?? Also The lower stack is what?? Thanks again bro u did that.

• 3 weeks later...

So,I finally decided to upgrade from 4.3s to 8.4n. I went to car-parts.com and saw (receiver,8.4 touchscreen). So I call and ask if it was the receiver or touchscreen and the says should be just the radio. So I'm like okay I'll order. Then I go and get the 8.4 touchscreen and a/c control with auto button. Well turn down out I get 2 8.4 screens (1 with bezel and 1 just screen) and the a/c control with auto button. All for $630, and still no receiver. I don't put more money down on the card....FML

• 6 years later...
On 10/28/2014 at 3:37 PM, Johnson said:
Well, I finally upgraded my 2014 SXT. I took out the 4.3s and installed the RE2 receiver, the 8.4" screen, the new bezel, and the lower stack. I also installed the factory backup camera as well.

The receiver, screen, lower stack, and bezel were pretty straightforward and easy to install. '14 Charger receiver, '13 Journey screen, '14 Journey bezel, and '11? I think, lower stack. I included some pictures below of some things I hadn't seen others include as far as how to remove the trim and whatnot. My wife and I really enjoy the upgrade, makes the interior feel much less "base package" and more complete. I, like others, haven't fixed the temperature controls on the screen but I haven't given up yet. I've talked with guys from my dealer and realized they're not going to be much help as this is the first radio they have even unlocked. Thanks to this forum I had more information than they did. I've talked with Uconnect who did not have info for me, and talked with Dodge corporate and they referred me to a larger dealer in the area but I haven't gotten a hold of them yet.

I played with the controls and found that when I "sync" the temps, the front and back hvac behave as one. That's nice as we have small kids in the back. If the knobs in the back are turned then the sync is broken and the rear acts independently. It also seems that even though the sliders on the climate screen maintain the nefarious "22 degrees" mark, if you slide them up or down it seems to lock that temperature in even though the slider moves back to the middle a few seconds later. The satellite radio still worked fine, so the free subscription apparently didn't get kicked back.

The dealer charged me for 1 hour labor for the combined unlock code and flashing the backup camera. Like I said above, this was the first one they've done. I had all the info they needed (even though they didn't know they needed it) thanks to this forum.

I bought the backup camera from the dealer (they were able to have it the next day). It came with detailed instructions that, at times, were not completely accurate as it was written in 2011. It was pretty involved to install - let's say it's not for the faint of heart. I took some pictures of that process that I've included below as well. You really do have to remove quite a bit of trim and one of the rear seats (If you have the third row). It's definitely doable if you're handy though, and I learned a lot about the car while doing it. I fished the wires a couple of times so that is one thing I would recommend if you're planning on doing it. My wife and I REALLY enjoy having it. The blind spot behind the car is especially bad without the camera if you have a car seat in the third row.

I couldn't figure out how to insert larger pictures....

Camera install 7

Camera install 6

Camera install 5

Camera install 4

Camera install 3

Camera install 2

Camera install

Hello, please can you share with me the camera pin location at the back of the radio. I upgraded from 4.3 to 8.4. My previous camera display through rearview mirror, but I want to move it to the bigger screen. 2019 Journey SE