Radiator leaks

jsm73061

My 2009 journey radiator recently created a leak somewhere. the over flow container is not cracked but The hoses are soft, if that means anything. When I fill the reservoir to its proper level and drive the car I can smell the antifreeze burning and see a large amount of smoke. Once the reservoir level goes down to 1/2 it stops leaking but still smell antifreeze burning and the smoke also stops. Could this be just a bad upper hose or could it be something more?

I just had the exact same thing happen to my 2010. I took it into the dealer and they found that it was the heater hose assembly that was bad. Sucks cause it wasn't covered under warranty and it cost me $550 but if you take it to a nondealer mechanic it might be cheaper for you. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

• 1 year later...

Interesting timing on your problem since I have the exact same thing happening to my car within the past couple of days. Although mine is not leaking as bad as yours, I have noticed that while stopped at the traffic light, small amounts of white smoke coming from the engine bay. Upon opening the hood, I also noticed a strong smell of antifreeze. I could not find the leak right away, so I drove it home. When I crawled under the vehicle, I noticed that the underside was wet in certain places. Then I noticed that there are 3 radiator hoses connected by a T connector which happens to be very close to an exhaust heat shield. Although the plastic T connector does not look wet, the hoses connected to it somewhat looked wet. I noticed that the exhaust heat shield had dried splatter marks on it as well. I couldn't tell whether the connector was cracked or whether the metal couplings holding the hoses to the connector are failing, but I have an appointment with the dealer on wed. and they can confirm that this is the issue.

My guess is that the connector is cracked and the pressure is forcing some radiator fluid into the exhaust heat shield causing it to burn. Hopefully it is just this and not something major.